EMT program in Columbia, MO

Pcorrigan

Forum Ride Along
Hi, Originally I singed up on this forum to send a private message to a user who went to EMT school in Columbia, MO but I cant sent private messages till i have five posts.

I am currently a Mizzou student (university of Missouri) in Columbia, MO thinking about going into EMS. I would go into the program hosted by Mizzou but it requires three letters of professional recommendations which I don't think ill be able to obtain.

there is another EMT program here in Columbia though hosted by Boone County at a local community college. I researched But im not sure of the quality of the program as it seems to be relatively new. I was wondering if anybody has any experience or has heard anything about this program?

My family lives in saint Charles and I know there is a good EMT program there But I enjoy living here and prefer to stay If I can.

OP
OP
P

Pcorrigan

Forum Ride Along
My major is civil engineering (halfway done) and while I enjoy the major Im not excited about the fact of landing an office job in my early 20s. I do want to finish the major and get a field job but I don't want to do that just yet. While im still young I want to do something that keeps me on my feet and gives me a renewed sense of purpose in life.

Im not sure if EMT/Paramedic will give me that but Im more then willing to try it out while I still take some classes here.

Last edited by a moderator:

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
That was me 9 years ago, trust me, stay at MU, stay in Engineering, and join a volunteer fire dept if you want to play. For someone like yourself, its just not worth it. I left MU to pursue a fire/ems career. I'm now finishing my CPA at UMSL and plan to do that once I'm done.

OP
OP
P

Pcorrigan

Forum Ride Along
well did you get anywhere in your pursuit of an ems/fire career? and I never intended to make a career out of it, something to try out and if I like it go on to paramedic and work for a few years.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Well I work as a full time paramedic, make good money, and have obtained CCEMTP and FP-C. However I want the 9-5 job. I know that just sounds terrible, but I want my weekends off to enjoy with my friends (most of which work 9-5). Being off during the weekdays is almost worthless as there's not much to do and everybody has to work the next day. Seems like a good majority of calls these days are just nonsense (psych, people treating the ambulance as a taxi, etc.) You're not going to get your 20's back, if you want to spend your weekends working, then by all means, go for it.

OP
OP
P

Pcorrigan

Forum Ride Along
I don't mind working weekends but you make a fair point. one last question, So when you get your 9-5 job will you look back at your paramedic days, the time spent, the lifestyle you lived with non-regret. or will you see it as time that could have been better used with friends and family and a normal lifestyle.

Thanks for the answers I really appreciate it.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
To be honest, I'm not sure yet. I'll let you know. I plan to keep a part-time gig. I know my girlfriend and friends will appreciate it. I'm looking forward to spending my weekends playing ice hockey, camping, shooting, etc. I've noticed the daily grind tends to make people bitter, at least the busier services. I've noticed it tends to make me a bit grumpy on my days off. Looking forward to that as well.

Wings91

Forum Probie
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how both of you are doing today... @truetiger @Pcorrigan Any advice from those have already been in my position/ similar position would be appreciated.
I myself am in the process of a CE major, 20 years old, but have always had an interest to work EMS before moving on to a full-time career following uni... passed the registry about two weeks ago and am now waiting for my state cert before applying.