EMT/Paramedic career choice

DavidPaulk

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. I am currently a Surface Rescue Swimmer in the USN. I'm getting out shortly, and I am interested in a career in medicine, specifically emergency medicine. I figured this would be a good place to start, and I have a few questions. First off, how is he lifestyle? I've read that the hours and shifts make it difficult to balance work and personal life. Secondly, do you feel satisfied with your scope of practice? Last but not least I want to start studying for an EMT/Paramedic program. What would be some good books and resources to read? Thanks for reading.

Well i am still in basic school, graduating in about a month, we use Brady Educational books (By pearson). I have a few friends who are Paramedics(flight and critical care) and we still hang out a lot. I have a job with NYDOCCS and am taking a class at night too. I cannot attest to the lifestyle yet. If you have any questions or anything i can help with just let me know!

That is a question with wide and varied answers. Many people have no problems balancing work and life as a paramedic. Certainly, the shift schedule makes it possible to do lots of other things. Others find they take the job home with them and being a paramedic defines them. Those folks burn out pretty quickly.

As far as scope of practice, again that's going to have widely varying answers. Some areas may have an incredibly expansive scope while others may be very constrained. It will depend on where you go

If you're looking to start preparing for a paramedic education, college-level anatomy and physiology is what most of us suggest as a good foundation. Of course, you'll need college-level English and algebra as well. Most people can test out of those classes.

Last edited:
Exactly what DE said, it's very variable. It depends on you and your region.

And seconded on college A&P and core courses.

Well i am still in basic school, graduating in about a month, we use Brady Educational books (By pearson). I have a few friends who are Paramedics(flight and critical care) and we still hang out a lot. I have a job with NYDOCCS and am taking a class at night too. I cannot attest to the lifestyle yet. If you have any questions or anything i can help with just let me know!
Thanks for the reply! You mentioned that you have friends who are flight, and critical care paramedics. Are these areas of specialty?

Thanks for the reply! You mentioned that you have friends who are flight, and critical care paramedics. Are these areas of specialty?
They are. Generally an area that experienced medics will gravitate to after three to five years of experience

Good afternoon everyone. I am currently a Surface Rescue Swimmer in the USN. I'm getting out shortly, and I am interested in a career in medicine, specifically emergency medicine. I figured this would be a good place to start, and I have a few questions. First off, how is he lifestyle? I've read that the hours and shifts make it difficult to balance work and personal life. Secondly, do you feel satisfied with your scope of practice? Last but not least I want to start studying for an EMT/Paramedic program. What would be some good books and resources to read? Thanks for reading.
Thanx for your service. First, I'd look at what your VA GI Bill benefits are. Then I'd look at what programs are available in your area. Then find out what the job market is like for medics. No sense going to school and after you finish and walk into a saturated market. Here in Jacksonville, FL it's hard to get in. Think possibly about nursing school. And then medic afterwards if you want to get on a helo.
Senior Chief sends.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back