emt paid squads

xems

Forum Ride Along
im about to finish my emt training n volunterring on a squad but i am wondering what towns/ cities havepaid squads (i know of elizabeth newark and jersey city) not only this but i am also wondering why there arent more paid squads, i know about the volunteer squads, but just wondering how many volunteers are there?

lastly what is the most well paid job able to be obtained with an EMT-B credential ( able to accept other courses such as a,bulance driveing and teaching prorams)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
First, welcome to the group.

Second, I take it you are in New Jersey?

I'm not from the area so I can't comment on what departments are up there and who is paid and who is volunteer. I would look at the ambulances as you see them pass and maybe check out the phone book to see what ambulance companies are in your area.

I'd also talk to your instructor and/or the college. Does your college have a recruiting program?

Chimp

OP
OP
X

xems

Forum Ride Along
my college does have a volunteer service and i wouldnt mind volunterin a little of my time if i had a scource of income.

thanks for the advice i actualy completly forgot about the phonebook ive just been looking at amulances and searching online

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
I dont know how it works in NJ but in San Diego you can get a job as an ER Tech in the hospital and make more money than an EMT on an ambulance. Top ambulance pay here is 10.50 (for a basic) and ER Tech can make up $15.

ER Tech = Trauma Tech = EMT are all listings you may find when you check with the hospitals.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
find the private service that does the inter facility trqansfers. theyre usually paid.

please dont expect to jump right into the "good stuff"(emergency work) right out of basic school. true, lots of people do it and suceed but far more fail. you need to spend some time learning this business before you get out and save a life. basic school DOES NOT cover everythiong you need to know. you need to spend the time learning the street skills in a calm, non emergent environment before you hit the 911 calls. once you have the basics down( ambulance ops, rapid acurate assesments, taking really good vitals, knowing your protocols back to fron etc...) then you should think about working a 911 shift.

in an emergency situation, there isnt time to walk you through every step in the game. thats why you need the time in transfer land. trust me, it will make you a better emt

OP
OP
X

xems

Forum Ride Along
just wondering u dont mean trasnferin teh mentally diabled in a school bus or the elderly in a nursing home because i actually hurs that that was a bad idea and ull forget alot of ur skill

as far as meergeny tech i dont think u gotta be an EMT for that cause wen i voluteeerd my hospital time there was someone that workd there that was askin me about the class n wanting to take that ovr the sumr thanks for the aadvice and please keep it coming

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by xems@May 15 2005, 11:02 PM
as far as meergeny tech i dont think u gotta be an EMT for that cause wen i voluteeerd my hospital time there was someone that workd there that was askin me about the class n wanting to take that ovr the sumr thanks for the aadvice and please keep it coming
Chances are that person was an orderly and not an emergency tech.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
just wondering u dont mean trasnferin teh mentally diabled in a school bus or the elderly in a nursing home because i actually hurs that that was a bad idea and ull forget alot of ur skill

BLS transfer work is ok. I know a lot of folks that do that to pay the bills while working at the vollie squad all the time. There are a lot of folks who are good EMTs who work transport to pay the bills while they spend their evenings and weekends being Ambulance Captian or Fire Chief. There are also quite a few bad apples who don't remember anything beyond how to move a strecher, and don't care about their patients.

If you get into transport to get experience and get paid, that is great, just remember that you won't be running red lights except once in a blue moon.

In general: BLS transport work is the "bread and butter" of an ambulance company. They do runs that earn the ambulance Co. a good, steady income - Hospital Discharges, Dialysis, Dr's visits, Involuntary Psych runs, etc. These involve 2 EMTs (or First Responder / EMT) an ambulance stocked to state minimums, and a strecher.

Wheelchair Van Drivers (sometimes Coach Drivers or MAVT's) Schlep grandma/ grandpa to and from Dr's offices, Dialysis, Nursing homes, Assisted Living centers, and Outpatient Procedures. They also will sometimes tranfer "voulentary" psych patients. These are single person units, usualy with nothing more than CPR and "how to drive a wheelchar bus" and a van or bus that can carry 2-8 wheelchairs and seated passengers.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i dont feel that you lose skills in a transfer truck. i think some of your basic skills get better. taking vitals on the fly(moving rig) can be a tough skill to aquire. w/o practice, all breath sounds sound like a diesel motor. you ant hear the pulse for the bp, might not be able to get a decent pulse either. takes time to learn how to filter out motor sounds, tricks for bp and such. i think its better to learn that in a non emrgency situation

and yeah i meant dialisys runs(renal round up), grannys dr appt, invol phsycs(pink slips), radiation treatments(burn and return) and all that other stuff

the skills of this business take time to aquire. nobody is every experienced enough. i learn new things every day.

ECC

Forum Captain

I would brush up on my English proficiency skills if I wanted a job where I would be expected to write reports daily. ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ECC+May 16 2005, 08:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ECC @ May 16 2005, 08:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-xems@May 15 2005, 11:02 PM

I would brush up on my English proficiency skills if I wanted a job where I would be expected to write reports daily. ;) [/b][/quote]
thats rough!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by KEVD18@May 16 2005, 02:40 PM
i dont feel that you lose skills in a transfer truck. i think some of your basic skills get better. taking vitals on the fly(moving rig) can be a tough skill to aquire. w/o practice, all breath sounds sound like a diesel motor. you ant hear the pulse for the bp, might not be able to get a decent pulse either. takes time to learn how to filter out motor sounds, tricks for bp and such. i think its better to learn that in a non emrgency situation
great points

i meant dialisys runs(renal round up), grannys dr appt, invol phsycs(pink slips), radiation treatments(burn and return) and all that other stuff

That's not right :D - you got to post that in "EMS Words"

OP
OP
X

xems

Forum Ride Along

I would brush up on my English proficiency skills if I wanted a job where I would be expected to write reports daily.

I am sorry for my improfciant language, but i believ the objective of this forum is to acuire new knoledge of being in the EMS. lol jk

Also thanks for the clarifacation on transport for a sec i thouht u ment like bus driving (well that was the basic impresion people gave me)

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by xems@May 17 2005, 01:13 AM

I would brush up on my English proficiency skills if I wanted a job where I would be expected to write reports daily.

I am sorry for my improfciant language, but i believ the objective of this forum is to acuire new knoledge of being in the EMS. lol jk

Also thanks for the clarifacation on transport for a sec i thouht u ment like bus driving (well that was the basic impresion people gave me)
I am just letting you know what I (as a boss) would expect from a new member.

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by ECC+May 17 2005, 11:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ECC @ May 17 2005, 11:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-xems@May 17 2005, 01:13 AM

I am just letting you know what I (as a boss) would expect from a new member. [/b][/quote]
Also, what the EMS coordinators and medical directors would want to see spelling/grammar at an acceptable level before they allow you to be an affiliated transporting tech. If we cared that much about grammar and spelling, we wouldn't have time for our habits (FF-EMS). However, instilling confidence in your patients and the EMS doc are important parts of being a tech. It is the doc's license on the line afterall.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
yeah, and those docs are always so well written eh hfdff422 ?

tell you what xems, find a mentor, someone that'l hold your hand and explain things to you. this doesn't need to be anything offical, in fact it's better off being something bettween two people.

someone held my hand when i entered this biz, and i'd wager most in this forum had (at least) someone to look up to....any ems personel worth thier salt realizes that they are not forever, and obligated to pass the torch

that's what makes us kin xems

~S~

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Stevo@Nov 4 2005, 08:05 PM
yeah, and those docs are always so well written eh hfdff422 ?

tell you what xems, find a mentor, someone that'l hold your hand and explain things to you. this doesn't need to be anything offical, in fact it's better off being something bettween two people.

someone held my hand when i entered this biz, and i'd wager most in this forum had (at least) someone to look up to....any ems personel worth thier salt realizes that they are not forever, and obligated to pass the torch

that's what makes us kin xems

~S~
Of all the tips and tricks, this is the best advice you can get. An experienced mentor will know most of the things that are quoted and spouted off about here. There is no teacher like experience, but an experienced teacher is a close second.