EMT must haves in the field?

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
So my question is what are your MUST HAVES on a shift? What can you not leave home without?

I figure the stethoscope, uniform, etc., is a given, so my vote goes to the Sharpie. I don't leave home without one, keep a supply in my jacket.

Later!

--Coop

8jimi8

CFRN
Im curious as to why someone told you vicks vaporub?

What in EMS do you WANT to smell?

you realize vicks is a decongestant right?

OP
OP
emtCourt31

emtCourt31

Forum Crew Member

They told me vicks because when you get a bad smelling patient you're supposed to put vicks on your upper lip. The strong vicks smell is supposed to help block the stench I guess. He was saying it half jokingly I think.....

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations

Vicks also has a very pungent odor and is very useful for those patients who are two, three, or more days past their last breath. I'm sure there are those who disagree, but a swipe of the Vicks under the nose is a very useful way to keep your cookies to yourself at a scene.
To reply to the OP, I try to carry a fine point dry erase marker. I use it to copy dispatch information on the window glass of the truck; much easier than trying to extricate pen and paper while turning on the interior light when we get a call while out of the station, especially at night.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
never leave home without it

Burt's Bees

8jimi8

CFRN
Vicks also has a very pungent odor and is very useful for those patients who are two, three, or more days past their last breath. I'm sure there are those who disagree, but a swipe of the Vicks under the nose is a very useful way to keep your cookies to yourself at a scene.
To reply to the OP, I try to carry a fine point dry erase marker. I use it to copy dispatch information on the window glass of the truck; much easier than trying to extricate pen and paper while turning on the interior light when we get a call while out of the station, especially at night.

I haven't yet had to deal with anyone more than freshly dead, So i cannot attest to any stenches, or their relief;
however, making your airways MORE open, does not seem like the intuitive direction...

to answer the intent of the OP, a spare uniform is worth its weight in gold when you need it.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
a spare uniform is worth its weight in gold when you need it.

Without trying to split hairs or ruin the playful/useful tone of this thread, a spare uniform is much morer than a "nice to have"; in most services it's a requirement and if it isn't, it should be. Our patients deserve more than having a provider come into their space wearing someone else's vomit, blood, or dirt from the last MVC. Besides, it's disgusting... <_<

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Without trying to split hairs or ruin the playful/useful tone of this thread, a spare uniform is much morer than a "nice to have"; in most services it's a requirement and if it isn't, it should be. Our patients deserve more than having a provider come into their space wearing someone else's vomit, blood, or dirt from the last MVC. Besides, it's disgusting... <_<

In Kentucky, our board requires ALL EMS services to have a washer and dryer at their base of operations before they will allow them a certificate to operate. But aside from that we are also required to have a 'spare' uniform in our cars or in the station at the service I work for.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
Sunglasses. Small pack of crackers. $20 cash. Small pack of germ-x. mp3/ipod. stethoscope. pen(s). penlight. few tissues. chapstick. extra hairbows/bobby pins. Cell phone. Watch. Maybe a pocket knife. Pair of gloves. Gum.

In overnight bag/station locker: Full set of fresh clothes (uniform and civilian...spare jacket). Old tennis shoes or extra pair of boots. Extra money. Medicine (cold, allergy, etc). Sunscreen. Deodorant. Phone charger. USB cable to charge mp3/ipod. Book. Flashlight. Batteries. Pocket knife. Shampoo/body wash. Hair brush. Toothbrush/paste. Journal.

Uh...that's basically all I can think of... :)

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
finally! a paycheck that makes it all worthwhile...

well the guy who bought was a bit of a creeper. he hung out at the store til the guys brought me back. followed me around asking all kinds of questions and then when i went to pay he took the beer and said "i got this ;) " as cool as that was freaked me out a bit at the same time