EMT-I training

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
Hello all.
I'm certified as an EMT-B. I'd like to continue my training, but going to school for paramedic is more than I can afford right now. I also have to work full time so a paramedic course load would be a major challenge.

Going to school to be an Intermediate might be doable. For those of you that are or were EMT-I's, how did you go about it? Did you take a course specifically for Intermediates or did you pick up your cert going through medic school?

How long the training was, how difficult it was, how much it cost, and other info would be appreciated.

I'm not working as an EMT right now, just volunteer as an MFR. I live in a pretty remote area, so continuing my training would require me to relocate(I had to drive an hour and a half every EMT class), which is part of the reason cost is such an issue.

I would LIKE to begin a career in EMS, but I'm not some kid from the burbs that can do this as a part time hobby while living with the parents until I get my paramedic cert, so its rough.

8jimi8

CFRN
just curious, why you aren't going for paramedic right now? Do you plan on finishing in the future? What about intermediate makes it necessary for you now, rather than waiting for paramedic school?

MS Medic

Forum Captain
I'm in my mid thirties, have a wife and two kids and just went thruogh shcool to get my EMT-P a few years ago so you have my empathy. I went part time at the ambulance service I worked at and maxed out student loans.
I would suggest working part time for a service before any major changes to see if you really want to do this though. :)

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Before you go any further you need to be sure that you will be able to keep up on your skills maintenance. Getting sticks and tubes with a volunteer agency will be difficult at best especially being in a remote area. I speak from experience and can tell you that many intermediates end up having to do ER time so they can maintain skills which is fine if you have that option but you may be out of luck come re-cert time if you don't have an ER available to you. Just a little something to think about while you form a plan.

OP
OP
D

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
Paramedic would be my eventual goal, so yes, I would plan on continuing on from Intermediate.

As for just waiting to do a paramedic course. Why not do an Intermediate course which makes me more employable as an EMT in the interim....I'm guessing a course would be what, 2 or 3 months? I could knock that out, maybe get a job as an ER tech or on an ambulance, and continue saving up to be a paramedic.

Jobs as a Basic are extremely rare, often part time, and generally low paying(and in my current area literally non existent).

Now I guess I could continue to work outside of EMS while saving up for, and then going to, medic school. I'm currently trained and experienced as an auto technician, but if youve ever wrenched on cars for a living you'd appreciate why im anxious to do something else.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Under the circumstances you described, I would definately do the EMT-I thing, then work part time to see if EMS is your thing before investing the time and money into the paramedic course.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Paramedic would be my eventual goal, so yes, I would plan on continuing on from Intermediate.

As for just waiting to do a paramedic course. Why not do an Intermediate course which makes me more employable as an EMT in the interim....I'm guessing a course would be what, 2 or 3 months? I could knock that out, maybe get a job as an ER tech or on an ambulance, and continue saving up to be a paramedic..

A problem you may encouter with this plan is there is no need for an EMT-I in interfacility transport. I can think of only a handful of private services that employ them. Then just pay a few cents more.

If there are paid 911 agencies hiring in your area you might have better luck as an EMT-I, but i wouldn't bank on it.

I have no idea about michigan but where i am from a hospital only hires paramedics as techs. (and pays better than everywhere else to boot)

Jobs as a Basic are extremely rare, often part time, and generally low paying(and in my current area literally non existent)...

Because of the economy, many people jumped to EMT-B as a quick career switch. Where I teach the secretary constantly fields calls from people lookng to "transition to EMS." It is much quicker to become a paramedic than nurse, RT, Rad tech, and many other ancillary providers. About the only thing shorter is medical assistant, which doesnt pay dirt and the jobs are rare or STNA which is a very unsatisfactory job and pays a little better in my home area because nobody wants to do it.

Now I guess I could continue to work outside of EMS while saving up for, and then going to, medic school. I'm currently trained and experienced as an auto technician, but if youve ever wrenched on cars for a living you'd appreciate why im anxious to do something else.

That may be your best bet unless you are planning to relocate to a place that actually can use basics. I have had medic students who were everything from gas station attendants to strippers because earning a living as a basic was not even possible.

OP
OP
D

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you all for the responses. Great site by the way, with lots of knowledgeable and intelligent posters.

mcgrubbs

Forum Crew Member
I would rather see someone do a semester of school to get their Intermediate license, work a bit, and THEN decide that EMS isn't for them.....RATHER than go all the way thru Paramedic school and find that out.

I'm in my school's Intermediate program now. Takes a semester. In MY area, having it does make me more employable.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I did Intermediate school in 2006. It was two nights a week for 4 hours (8 hours a week of class). I loved it, tho it was a lot of studying. I maintain my Intermediate and am happy to have done it. It made me a good Intermediate EMT and a GREAT Basic!

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
I was an EMT-I 85 for 6 years working in the ER/ ICU and for a ALS 911 service before I became a paramedic. That experience was invaluable when I took the ALS reins. It gave me more confidence. I precept paramedic student often and I can tell most of the time who is currently an EMT-I and who is not before they tell me. When you get to medic school you should be focused on treatment modalities not focusing on how to properly start an IV.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I was an EMT-I 85 for 6 years working in the ER/ ICU and for a ALS 911 service before I became a paramedic. That experience was invaluable when I took the ALS reins. It gave me more confidence. I precept paramedic student often and I can tell most of the time who is currently an EMT-I and who is not before they tell me. When you get to medic school you should be focused on treatment modalities not focusing on how to properly start an IV.

You couldn't be more correct. Practicing prior to taking a step toward the next level almost always produces the better student. I've seen the scenario hundreds of times.