EMT-I and P in Houston

aashw436

Forum Ride Along
Hey I'm curious about which school in Houston, Texas would be better as I move on with my EMS training. Got my EMT-B at Houston Community College. It was ok, but some of my instructors weren't really teachers per se, and some just didn't seem like they knew what they were talking about at times. I've also had several very experienced medics tell me that HCC teaches to NREMT almost exclusively so you don't get as much depth and understanding as you would elsewhere. So I'm thinking about either San Jac or Lone Star for EMT-I and medic. Any thoughts? I live on the southwest side of town, so nowhere is really close to me and I will have to drive ~30+ min to get to any of the above mentioned locations. Thanks!

phildo

Forum Crew Member
Check out San Jac Central Campus. San Jac North has had a really strong program before, but I have no idea what it is like now. We get alot of SJC central campus students doing clinicals with us in Beaumont. Jay Cloud runs that program and is highly regarded. Lamar Inst. of Technology in Beaumont has a strong program too.

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
honestly, i am taking my intermediate at lonestar right now, NOT A FAN OF THE PROGRAM AT ALL, from the past ive heard its a good program but i know me and my classmates are beyond frustrated at this time, i plan on trying my intermediate again in the spring at the san jac north campus