Emt-Enhanced

MedicAngel

Forum Crew Member
Just started the EMT enhanced class, and with how it is going currently, wondering just how good of ALS providers were all going to be. We asked about home work and were told to do the work book that came with our books, then asked about vocabulary, what is important. Again we were told, they would suggest knowing the "important" vocab...okay....*sigh*

Granted, were the first class for this county, but I would think that there would be some preparation for this, some hand outs and the instructors teaching us what were suppose to know...not go off on a tangent. I am excited though to be learning something new, and see that we will be reading the book front and back...

wolverine

Forum Crew Member
Emt-Enhanced?

Good Luck Angel, master your drug calculations and memorize your caridac drugs

emtjen15

Forum Probie
Which county are you from in VA? Loudoun County has had the EMT-E/ST program for years. It is a great step to becoming a Medic or EMT-I. In Arizona, where I live now, does not have the EMT-E program. I wish they did. It would be a great class for the EMT who is not ready for medic school but wants to take a step in that direction. Good luck.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Just started the EMT enhanced class, and with how it is going currently, wondering just how good of ALS providers were all going to be. We asked about home work and were told to do the work book that came with our books, then asked about vocabulary, what is important. Again we were told, they would suggest knowing the "important" vocab...okay....*sigh*

Granted, were the first class for this county, but I would think that there would be some preparation for this, some hand outs and the instructors teaching us what were suppose to know...not go off on a tangent. I am excited though to be learning something new, and see that we will be reading the book front and back...

It sounds like they are doing a half a$$ed job. Personally, I wouldn't waste your time on a substandard EMT-B add on class. You are obviously very enthused about pursuing a higher EMS education. You owe it to yourself and your patients to move on to the "I" or "P" level. At the end of the day, these so called "enhanced" classes are nothing more than an excuse to dumb down the industry by having the bare minimum doing the most possible at the cheapest cost. Plus you would still be an EMT-B. Add any little add on "certs" or letters to your title, but you are still not an advanced life support provider. Why not refocus that energy and time to something that will actually benefit both the community and your own personal growth. Move to a higher level, you'll thank yourself in the end!

OP
OP
MedicAngel

MedicAngel

Forum Crew Member
Thank you all for the replies. While I see your point Flight L-P, I am not ready to become an intermediate or a paramedic. It is a struggle right now to get my husband to accept that I am an EMT at all, he does not like what I do and has said he thinks I should work a 9 to 5 job with weekends off. :wacko: So I am doing a little at a time and doing it that way, gives me time to do what I need to do and him time to get use to what I do, if that makes sense.

Some of us do take what we do seriously, even as a B were still dealing with a human life and people that are strangers are putting their life and trust into our hands, so yes, I take that seriously. I sometime wish that others would do so or bite their tongue and find a bit of patience, tolerance, and compassion for those we run, regardless of your level.

I can only suggest a study group to help those who may feel lost, work together and study hard. I want to pass this class and I want to do well, fortunately for me, I work at the hospital on the med/surg telemetry ward so I have a step up as I have wonderful nurses to ask questions to should I need help with EKG's or if I want to perfect my I.V. technique.

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
Way to go Medicangel. I appreciate your attitude of wanting to learn at the pace that is right for you. I have the upmost respect for the Medics and the valuable info they add to this forum, but in the end you have to do what is right for you. Our senior instructor in B school pushed very hard for me to take his medic class which started a month after I finished. I told him I would rather get some experience first, see how I adapted to EMS. One of our junior instructors is an awesome Medic(15 yrs experience)...if anything, I mean anything ever happens to me, I want HIM to be there...he gave me great advice to do what I thought was right for me. Told me to take the steps I felt were necessary to make me the best EMS provider I could be. So, I am working as a B and taking as many extra classes as I can, and then my dept. will be holding an Intermediate class in Jan which I plan to attend. Surprisingly enough, after bending the ear of many of the medics that I am meeting and working with now, I am finding out that a lot that jumped right into medic classes and became paramedics wished they had done it in steps. And these are highly motivated, highly effective medics...not a bunch of yahooos. One even told me that after B school he went right into Intermediate, but after 3 weeks quit and worked as a B for two years before going back. Stick to it and make it what YOU want!! Best of luck to you.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Our senior instructor in B school pushed very hard for me to take his medic class which started a month after I finished. I told him I would rather get some experience first, see how I adapted to EMS. One of our junior instructors is an awesome Medic(15 yrs experience)...if anything, I mean anything ever happens to me, I want HIM to be there...he gave me great advice to do what I thought was right for me. Told me to take the steps I felt were necessary to make me the best EMS provider I could be. So, I am working as a B and taking as many extra classes as I can, and then my dept. will be holding an Intermediate class in Jan which I plan to attend. Surprisingly enough, after bending the ear of many of the medics that I am meeting and working with now, I am finding out that a lot that jumped right into medic classes and became paramedics wished they had done it in steps. And these are highly motivated, highly effective medics...not a bunch of yahooos. One even told me that after B school he went right into Intermediate, but after 3 weeks quit and worked as a B for two years before going back. Stick to it and make it what YOU want!! Best of luck to you.

There is nothing wrong with going straight into the Paramedic program from EMT-B provided you have a good foundation in the sciences. Many of us, myself included, went straight through the program when it was encouraged to do the Associates degree 30 years ago. It is when you go from an EMT-B with a poor foundation to a medic mill program dishing out poor education. I also place those that put their students on ALS engines and ladders in that category. Then, to make up for the inadequacies of not getting a real education, "certs" are collected. The only time that you should stay as a BLS provider is the time you are in school to get your sciences, maths and Paramedic.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
Ventmedic, I apologize if you felt I was knocking those who jumped into medic school quickly.And I certainly wasnt implying that jumping into medic school was a bad thing. I am not...just that I have read a lot of talk on this forum about how bad B education is, some derogatory comments about the necessity of B's and their usefulness and effectives. It is merely the fact that different people need to learn with different methods and at their own pace. One shoulnt be belittled for taking their time to learn, just as you are correct that sometimes it is advantageous for others to jump right in. Wouldnt you appreciate someone who took the time to get the very most out of their education over someone who just wanted to brag about how fast they got where they are? Believe me, I hope to become a medic someday, actually a very competent medic. But to be honest right now I am most concerned about being the best EMT-B I can because peoples wellbeing and lives are at stake, and I dont feel prepared to begin the process yet. I do have to say, and this is not anything I have seen in any of your post, but I get the feeling some medics out there look down with a lot of disregard for Bs. I mean isnt that where everyone starts? Do those same medics begin to think that doctors are out there going "well if they were really worth it or smart enough, why didnt they become a PA or actual doctor instead of just a Paramedic?" I hope you appreciate this is a very important choice in my life, and I would like to know there are great doctors, nurses, PAs,as well as the paramedics, intermediates, and more experienced Bs that I find on this forum, out there that will offer guidance, advice, and direction to keep me motivated and doing my best. thanks....

OP
OP
MedicAngel

MedicAngel

Forum Crew Member
Your right HeavyCrow...I intend to take it step by step, each step I will run in that capacity and be the best I can and learn all I can, much like you. I see EMT's of all steps who are not ready for what they went into, they make poor choices and I have very few who I would let work on me should an emergency arise, if they aren't around then God willing, I am driving myself! I am glad that some on this board can jump in and make it all the way to paramedic or further, that takes a lot of time, effort, sacrifice, etc. to do what they are doing. They are an inspiration to others and I see that.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Ventmedic, I apologize if you felt I was knocking those who jumped into medic school quickly.And I certainly wasnt implying that jumping into medic school was a bad thing. I am not...just that I have read a lot of talk on this forum about how bad B education is, some derogatory comments about the necessity of B's and their usefulness and effectives. It is merely the fact that different people need to learn with different methods and at their own pace. One shoulnt be belittled for taking their time to learn, just as you are correct that sometimes it is advantageous for others to jump right in. Wouldnt you appreciate someone who took the time to get the very most out of their education over someone who just wanted to brag about how fast they got where they are? Believe me, I hope to become a medic someday, actually a very competent medic. But to be honest right now I am most concerned about being the best EMT-B I can because peoples wellbeing and lives are at stake, and I dont feel prepared to begin the process yet. I do have to say, and this is not anything I have seen in any of your post, but I get the feeling some medics out there look down with a lot of disregard for Bs. I mean isnt that where everyone starts? Do those same medics begin to think that doctors are out there going "well if they were really worth it or smart enough, why didnt they become a PA or actual doctor instead of just a Paramedic?" I hope you appreciate this is a very important choice in my life, and I would like to know there are great doctors, nurses, PAs,as well as the paramedics, intermediates, and more experienced Bs that I find on this forum, out there that will offer guidance, advice, and direction to keep me motivated and doing my best. thanks....

Don't apologize but do read some of the posts of those who have been around awhile or those who have chosen different routes.

The reason some do not feel prepared for Paramedic school is not because of experience but rather lack of preparation. EMT-B school is only 110 hours with no prerequisites and few take any college A&P before or after. You hear stories about how hard Paramedic school is from people who have never had to study for college level classes. Paramedic school is taught from material written for the 10th grad level. If people properly prepared for Paramedic school with college level classes such as at least 2 semesters of A&P, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Psychology and the maths, the program would be much easier for them. Their time would be better spent learning the applications to what they have already learned instead of memorizing notes cards to which much of the information will not be retained after the test by that method.

While all of the BLS skills are important, it is the knowledge you acquire through education and advancing that will make those BLS skills work better for the patient. If you initiate your advanced education at least in the sciences before or with Paramedic classes, things will start to fall into place as you start to recognize what you have been studying rather than just skills.

Other healthcare professionals (RNs, RRTs, PAs) pick up the same advanced skills such as intubation, needle chest decompression, chest tubes, central lines and crics (plus many more "skills") quickly because they already have at least two years of a foundation ready to build on. EMS puts emphasis on skills and not the knowledge or education. The EMT and Paramedic is still a "tech" level profession because of the low entry level of education. It is still a long way off in many places from even the healthcare professionals that still require a mere Associates degree.

Even RNs and RRTs are feeling the pinch when employers write "Associates required, Bachelors or Masters preferred". These two professions have quickly found out that 2 years may not be enough to keep up with the technology and information that is ever changing in healthcare. They also know that the Associates is just the beginning. They will spend months or years doing more education and training to get the position they want in their profession.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
It will all come with time....

You are starting your classes, and I think that is wonderful, as Vent has said it is important to have those core classes. Try not to get too overwhelmed, I myself am just taking one class at a time, (got a family and kiddos!) it will go by before you know it. One must have a foundation and a starting point, you are on your way! :)

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
The reason some do not feel prepared for Paramedic school is not because of experience but rather lack of preparation. EMT-B school is only 110 hours with no prerequisites and few take any college A&P before or after. You hear stories about how hard Paramedic school is from people who have never had to study for college level classes. Paramedic school is taught from material written for the 10th grad level. If people properly prepared for Paramedic school with college level classes such as at least 2 semesters of A&P, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Psychology and the maths, the program would be much easier for them. Their time would be better spent learning the applications to what they have already learned instead of memorizing notes cards to which much of the information will not be retained after the test by that method.

I certainly cant disagree with the above. In hind sight I too believe B class should have been more indepth, taken more time, and certainly had more clinical training. I know our department requires a paramedic based A&P course before you can enter the medic program. Hopefully it will all come together for us all who are trying for the right reasons.

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
Sorry Ventmedic, not trying to steal your words, just screwed up the "quote" process! :blush: