EMT course and work

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
It's 8 months (2 semesters) and I do 17hrs a week in classroom and I'm required 506 clinical hours by graduation.

jesus christ! I would have quit. there are fast programs, I was only required to do 16 hours of field time and one semester long with two eight hour days per week with some saturdays. Stay vigilant and if you have internet your husband can work at home (i have my own telemarketing business). send PM for info.

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
You can go straight from an EMT-b to a medic program? Or do you already have some practical medical background? Either way, best of luck to all of you moving forward =)

Lizadizzle

Forum Probie
You can go straight from an EMT-b to a medic program? Or do you already have some practical medical background? Either way, best of luck to all of you moving forward =)

At OCCC, you pretty much get herded from the EMT-B program (one semester, 8 weeks) into the EMT-P program. They look at you crazy if you "just want your basic" lol. I went into it knowing I was continuing, but a couple of my friends from there are only doing it for their fire training.

Now they're somewhat starting to push everyone who's already in the -P program to bridge to the RN program if your grades are up for it. I feel like they're trying to make flight medic/nurses out of all of us lol :blush:

edit: also, I didn't have any previous medical background other than my odd love for medicine itself. I was pre-med before changing my major, so I've already completed all my 'basic ed' requirements - when I graduate, I'll have an Associates in Emergency Medical Sciences *shrug* Whatever that means.

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I really, really dislike the model of "herding" everyone from EMT into P and RN. There's a need for EMTs, and people shouldn't be sent into the next level of certification just because the school wants more tuition money. Skill dilution is already a huge issue in many places. We're well on the path to creating more of a worker/jobs imbalance where the workforce far outpaces the number of jobs available.

Lizadizzle

Forum Probie
I really, really dislike the model of "herding" everyone from EMT into P and RN. There's a need for EMTs, and people shouldn't be sent into the next level of certification just because the school wants more tuition money. Skill dilution is already a huge issue in many places. We're well on the path to creating more of a worker/jobs imbalance where the workforce far outpaces the number of jobs available.

I agree. I can't necessarily complain because I want to continue. However, it's becoming more commonplace (here at least) for our FDs to look for EMT-B trained fire candidates. A while back they were talking about replacing EMSA and going to a fire-based EMS type of thing. I'm not sure whatever happened to this but I can only loosely guess that this may be what they're prepping for or starting to veer towards. *shrug* I don't know how that would work, but that particular rumor has been hanging on for at least a couple years.