Emt boots

carmean4

Forum Ride Along
I Live in Los Angeles and start my First EMT job doing IFT's on friday.

They require us to have boots, so being my first EMS gig I purchased a pair of $40 Dexter Brand steel toed boots at Payless, I am hoping that will be ok till I can afford some new ones.

Any reviews with these boots?

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Construction boots are going to suck (heavy and uncomfortable), so you're probably going to want to pick up a decent pair of EMS/station boots ASAP. Most run about $100.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Construction boots are going to suck (heavy and uncomfortable), so you're probably going to want to pick up a decent pair of EMS/station boots ASAP. Most run about $100.

Bwah? The most comfortable pair of footwear (much less boots) I've ever worn were a pair of Caterpillar steel toes (<--link to boots). Construction workers are just as hard on their feet (if not more) than us, and they buy A LOT more boots... hence the best boots may very well be aimed at construction workers. In those my feet stay warm in the winter, cool in the summer, dry in puddles, upright on ice, and I've had a fully loaded stretcher slammed into the side of them and didn't feel a thing. There is precisely one thing I didn't like about those construction boots... they don't have a zipper. I got a pair of Bates G8 GTX's with a zip and I've got to say, they are quite inferior to the Cats. My Bates were $135, the Cats were $103.

As to those boots mention specifically, I have no input. Let them break in for a week and see how you feel about them.

One suggestion I have is to give elastic shoelaces a try (<-- link to laces), even if you have zip boots. They allow you to snug your boot up and still give when you walk. Also, no tying needed if you don't have zippers, and if you do they make sliding zip boots on and off much easier because the tongue will give a bit when sliding your foot in and out. Those laces even come in reflective varieties!

Last edited by a moderator:

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Bwah? The most comfortable pair of footwear (much less boots) I've ever worn were a pair of Caterpillar steel toes (<--link to boots).

Granted, I've never tried on a pair of expensive construction boots. But I bought a pair of Payless ones (similar to what the OP has) when I started EMT school and they were awful. Either way, its more weight and protection than we need in EMS.