EMT-Basic prestudy

p1l0t

Forum Probie
My local volunteer ambulance next EMTB class starts in March. What should I do over the winter to make my learning experience better and be more prepared? I have taken BLS before and I am currently re-reading through that material for now.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
My local volunteer ambulance next EMTB class starts in March. What should I do over the winter to make my learning experience better and be more prepared? I have taken BLS before and I am currently re-reading through that material for now.
Are you allowed to ride before you become an EMT? You'd probably learn a lot about what EMTs do.

OP
OP
P

p1l0t

Forum Probie
Are you allowed to ride before you become an EMT? You'd probably learn a lot about what EMTs do.
Yes if you take a CPR or BLS class you can do a ride along(s). I did one like 10 years ago. I got a job flying private jets that took up all my time for awhile. My BLS is expired but maybe I should see if I can renew it and do some ride alongs in the meantime.

Red Shirt 6

Forum Probie
You could also do some free or low-cost certificates like FEMA self-study courses I suggest starting with FEMA: Introduction to Incident Command System Certificate ISC 100 and IS-00700.bAn Introduction to the National Incident Management Systems.

OP
OP
P

p1l0t

Forum Probie
My job has us driving around before we can go through the educational aspect of EMT. I really liked the fact I get to be an EVO before EMT.
That's cool. I took First Aid and I got CPR next week. I needed to renew them anyway. Apparently it doesn't get me a ride-along and they don't start until halfway through EMT class. Not that I would be much help, I get that, I was just hoping start doing more hands-on stuff or at least see how things work. Studying the books might be better use of my time, I just like to see what it looks like in the real world to go along with it.

RsqCrack

Bandwidth Binge
How'd your CPR class go?

Medical Terminology and Human Anatomy are the topics which will serve you the best. Anatomy at a high level, which bones are where, which organs are where, how the heart and lungs are plumbed and flow, major blood vessels, and a little about the spine and the structure of the vertebra. The directional terms will be easier to master with some context to them - you'll gain this as you read and study.

OP
OP
P

p1l0t

Forum Probie
How'd your CPR class go?

Medical Terminology and Human Anatomy are the topics which will serve you the best. Anatomy at a high level, which bones are where, which organs are where, how the heart and lungs are plumbed and flow, major blood vessels, and a little about the spine and the structure of the vertebra. The directional terms will be easier to master with some context to them - you'll gain this as you read and study.

Good, on the practical parts I did OK and the written I only got 1 wrong. I actually surprised the instructor because I did better than some of the first responders there. They just showed up and took it though from memory I actually read the course material. I started the EMT-B class. I just read the anatomy and terminology chapters and yeah that makes things make a lot more sense when reading about them. We ended up getting a different book than they usually use for the course because of a supply issue in the EMT class. So none of the chapters match-up. The instructor is very knowledgeable though and so far it's just been scene safety common sense type stuff so no biggie. It's a huge book though, 1300 pages! I'm not a fast reader either though so I'm a little worried about having enough time outside of work and the classes to read it all but I'm dedicating a few hours a day to it on the days I don’t have class.

OP
OP
P

p1l0t

Forum Probie
Keep up the work, it's worth it in the end.
Yeah I was a cadet/volunteer firefighter like 20+ years ago. I miss that rush of being a first responder. All that adrenaline but at least you're one of the good guys. Just reading the stuff in the text brings back memories. Even the training was fun. This is a different animal though too in many ways.