Emt-b student

christy

Forum Ride Along
Any advice for a person who is starting EMT-B school?

Last edited by a moderator:

crubs

Forum Probie
I'd say its more or less like any other class you'd take, though it may require a large time investment.

-Do your homework
-Read the assigned chapters at least one day before, but do not read any more than that (I knew a gal who failed a quiz due to information overloading).
-Use online resources the class may have, especially practice quizzes.

Otherwise, I didn't find my EMT class hard, just challenging.

Last edited by a moderator:

rlcpr

Forum Probie
-Read the assigned chapters at least one day before

Great advice. Most of the time you will be required to learn some things on your own, and they will recap/explain the most important things in class.

My biggest tip: avoid cynicism. I've encountered a lot of people that want to become old and cranky right after finishing their basic. Be confident, and be excited that you're in EMS! There's no need to become cynical, it truly is a great career field.

Just keep up with your work, and study whenever you get the chance. Ask lots of questions during ride and hospital time! There are some wonderful resources out there.

neoclassicaljazz

Forum Crew Member
Be involved in as much of the hands-on training as you can. When I was in school I was a bit nervous at first to practice these skills in front of my classmates but there is no reason to be! Also get in the ambulance with a crew as often as you can! Good luck and have fun :)

KatiEMT

Forum Ride Along
Don't read more into the test question than is on the page. No "what ifs" If a woman is 32 weeks and crying, unless it's stated, she is not contracting or in labor.

alphamikefoxtrot

Forum Probie
Premium Member
I may have missed it in another post on the forum, but is there a thread / resource or set of resources for listing of the commonly occuring / used acronyms in EMS available? I find a big stumbling point or point of frustration can be not having a baseline understanding of terminology. I have a sound platform in general med terms, but not for EMS, which I know is similar but still (to me) appears to be it's own vernacular.

Thank You!

emt722

Forum Probie
I agree with ^everyone.

Personally, I learned the most hands-on. Absorb as much as you can when on field, such as when you do your rotations. Also, try joining your local ambulance corps.

agah

Forum Crew Member
Use index cards... I just started my training but can already tell you that index cards will be a great tool here.

Nameless

Forum Probie
1. Study. Read. Study some more. Read some more.
2. Find buddies. Get good connections going early on.
3. Do NOT put ANYTHING off until the last minute! You will severely regret it.
4. Be kind to all of your patients, even if they are jerks.
5. Being kind to your preceptors in your clinicals will get you very far.
6. When doing clinicals, if you see the ambulance a mess or a hospital room that needs overturned, do it without asking. That will win you big points with the crew/staff.
7. Don't try to render patient care on your own. Just... No. You'd think this is an obvious one, but we had a medic student in my area try to do this and... Just don't do this.
8. PEE AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN AT THE FIREHOUSE. DON'T HOLD IT IN. IF YOU HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO GO, GO!!
9. Don't be a fly on the wall. If an opportunity knocks, fling the door open and grab it by the neck.
10. People are heavy. Do some exercises now and start building your legs up (squats are good to do).
11. Do not walk into a scenario and have the first thing come out of your mouth be, "Call 911." My biggest flop yet. (Thankfully it was a scenario..)
12. "BSI, scene safety" will be your new war cry.
13. Learn to love acronyms. They are EVERYWHERE in EMS.
14. Learn to not take things personally.
15. You'll learn your weaknesses and strengths when it comes to this field. For example, I am shy and have a hard time talking to people. With practice, though, I've figured out how to better interact with patients, family members, staff, crew, and everyone, really. Embrace your strengths and hone your weaknesses.
16. Cardiac arrest =/= heart attack.
17. It's HIPAA, not HIPPA.
18. Patient interaction is one of the biggest things you will need to work on. Practice it early on, and learn from it.
19. Take criticism well and with a grain of salt.
20. Have a bit of fun with the class and the patients when you can. It's a very rewarding experience.

That's about all I can think of. Good luck to you!