EMT-B ...> Paramedic

HelpmeHelpyou

Forum Crew Member
In my area things seem to be really slow as far as hiring anywhere local. Is it a good idea to go straight to getting my ACLS certification from a EMT-B. I haven't had any ride alongs since February 2011. I graduated in Early January 2011 and obtained my National Registry in mid January 2011. For about 5 months all I have been doing is studying my EMT skill sheets and practicing vital signs on myself. Going over vital signs normal ranges for Adult, Children, and infants. Cpr reviewing and that's about it.

Curious on what some of you might think about going back to school for the Fall 2011 classes? Should I take Pharmacology classes and Cardiology classes first? Will Pharmacology help me get a head start? I know the function and operation of the human heart well. Need advise...or should I continue checking for employment. The local ambulance companies primarily Southwest is who I really want to work for as a EMT and would love to make that my career, currently they are not hiring. Thank you in Advance.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Im confused, are you talking about going to medic school in the Fall? Or just getting your ACLS cert and taking a pharmacology and cardiology course?

I dont see a great deal of benefit in terms of landing a job with the second option. Start medic school and continue to look for work...thats what i would do.

OP
OP
H

HelpmeHelpyou

Forum Crew Member
Im confused, are you talking about going to medic school in the Fall? Or just getting your ACLS cert and taking a pharmacology and cardiology course?

I dont see a great deal of benefit in terms of landing a job with the second option. Start medic school and continue to look for work...thats what i would do.

Yes just taking ACLS courses. I was just thinking it would help with my continuing education requirements, and help myself become more valuable to a employer?

Then I will look into medic school then, and continue to check up on Southwest. Thank you.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Yes just taking ACLS courses. I was just thinking it would help with my continuing education requirements, and help myself become more valuable to a employer?

Then I will look into medic school then, and continue to check up on Southwest. Thank you.

taking ACLS and Pharmacology classes will not help you get a job because your SOP is still Emt-B. Go to medic school.

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF
Can you go straight to medic school without racking up experience and/or time from where you're at? Because that is not the case here in Cali.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If you can just jump straight into medic school, do it. The experience requirement is a silly silly retarded rule

cOmpressor

Forum Probie
Can you go straight to medic school without racking up experience and/or time from where you're at? Because that is not the case here in Cali.

Depends on the school. I'm going from EMT to medic school without problems or paid experience. Just had to talk with the instructors and show I know what I'm doing.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Just go straight to medic like others have said, ACLS won't do you much good because you won't be able to use 85% of what you learn.

phideux

Forum Captain
Just go straight to medic like others have said, ACLS won't do you much good because you won't be able to use 85% of what you learn.

What he said. +1

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
I'm somewhat in the same boat- I finished class in March this year and was registered/licensed by April. Everyone I know asks why I haven't gone out to get an EMT-B job on a truck somewhere, but I know I'm starting medic in the fall. I feel like if I'm gonna continue my education to that level, I may as well do it sooner than later. There's no time like the present :)