EMT-B, no experience, looking for first job/volunteer work in Colorado. Help..please?

srowell

Forum Probie
Reaction score
It seems as if everybody wants at least 1 year of experience before they will even consider hiring you. I am looking for an emt-b job or a place where I can volunteer and at least get my foot in the door as an EMT with no previous experience. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I can look or know of any departments/companies that take volunteers here in Colorado?

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you! ^_^
-srb

Well I'm in a similar dilemma, I've applied to quite a few places, no returns. Volunteering is the base, and then employment I presume. But I live in the middle of nowhere. Best thing to do is apply even if they aren't hiring they'll keep you on file for the future.

I lived in Ouray for a while, love it, sad to go. They have a "paid volunteer" system there. They will put you on the schedule as a B. Approx $30/24 hr shift just to be on call + $75/transport. I can't say enough good things about Ouray County EMS, good teachers willing to show you the ropes, correct you sternly when needed and the I's and P's have a variety of experience before coming to Ouray (lots of good stories). However, it is hard to find a source of income there unless you are commuting to Telluride in the winter. Winter calls are slow, you might get one/month. Summer is crazy busy, that's when they need the most help. Also Mountain Rescue is volunteer and awesome peeps as well. A lot of people do both, the trick is finding steady income elsewhere. Let me know if you want more specific info about that area.

You need to volunteer first, employment comes next. And usually employing ambulance corps. want 2 years, not one.

Good Luck,
Dillon

In Colorado there are a ton of Search and Rescue groups. Your best bet is to volunteer with one for a year or two - if they know you have a certification you'll be used a lot for the medical side of things once they find the person in need of rescue. I'm applying for the SAR group down where I live, they always need more help!

Back