EMT-B Applying For New State

MacrossForever

Forum Ride Along
I am a licensed EMT-B in the state of Connecticut, but jobs in that area in said field are a little lacking and I have been looking into expanding my search to include Rhode Island, as there are more opportunities open to me in that way. I was reading through a few pieces literature on getting a RI license and I believe there is a course I will have to take, but I am not sure if I have to give up my CT license in order to get a RI one. I don't think that is the case, but everyone that I have asked in my department is unsure of the answer. Thoughts?

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
yeah i just got my california license and i would be interested to know what all i have to do to get certified in some of the neighboring states as well

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
go to the state EMS dept website, either request or print out a reciprocity packet, fill out, attach check, send in along with whatever copies they need. You don't need to give up your original state cert (I have 3 states + NR). Keep in mind, most companies in other states will not even look at your app until your cert is in your hand or (like TX) showing in the online database.

OP
OP
MacrossForever

MacrossForever

Forum Ride Along
That was the issue I was running into, most companies I talked to did not even want to see a resume until I had my RI Cert. Thanks for the info.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That was the issue I was running into, most companies I talked to did not even want to see a resume until I had my RI Cert. Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. It's like that pretty much nationwide, so it doesn't surprise me

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
You WILL have to take a class, there are a few things that are in RI basic's Scope that is outside of CT's scope: Blood Glucose checks, glucagon admin, MAST and EOAs (I know).

One of your best bets on getting a line on a class is to join one of the local Volly departments on the RI/CT border. (Ashaway, Hope Valley and Westerly ambulances)