EMT as a late life career

capnel

Forum Ride Along
Okay, this is going to seem strange to a lot of you. I just joined EMTLIFE. I got my EMR certification through NREMT this Spring. A long time ago I had one year of med school (not paramedic school - M.D. school), where I was the top student in my class. I quit because of Vietnam and got a Masters in biochemistry instead. I am close to retirement (age 65) in my current field (I wont say what it is because that would make the situation even more laughable). I probably know as much human anatomy and physiology as most M.D.s. I excel in everything academically. I am thinking about EMT-B school this fall and have absolutely no doubt of getting national certification. I've read lots of posts here about how easy it is to be a paramedic. I'm obviously an over-achiever. It looks like EMTs are not paid well and jobs are scarce. I can afford the money and time to EMT-B. Question is: from you in the field, is this a career that I should be thinking about at my time of life? Obviously more is necessary than academic knowledge. How does a person gain experience?

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Welcome, and...

I'm a little lost here, capnel!

At around 11:00 this morning you're asking for opportunities to Volunteer in Minneapolis (here) and before 4 p.m. you're considering EMS as a career!

Big leap in just a few hours:rolleyes:!

My guess is you've just begun thinking about it, but no matter, I suggest cruising around the site a little. A good place to start would be here, where the conversation just started: http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=31077

This forum provides entertainment and education for all ages!

OP
OP
C

capnel

Forum Ride Along
I'm a little lost here, capnel!

Big leap in just a few hours:rolleyes:!

My guess is you've just begun thinking about it, but no matter, I suggest cruising around the site a little. A good place to start would be here, where the conversation just started.

This forum provides entertainment and education for all ages!
Thanks! Nice to see someone monitors posts here, unlike other forums that I've been on. It's not really all that confusing. I was looking forward to the Red Cross thing as a chance to try before buying! I have explored a little around the site. Seems like a lot of prejudice against "vollys" taking jobs from "professionals." Just "gate keeping" like other fields I've been in, I guess. I'm just looking for feedback on volunteer opportunities and beyond that, whether it's feasible to break into a field where, it seems, competition is fierce for jobs.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
A friend of mine flew fighter jets over Vietnam, retired from the Air Force, then flew continental jets over the us, and retired from that too. Now he's a medic, 64 years old and reasonably competent, and has a good attitude about being the new kid on the block.

OP
OP
C

capnel

Forum Ride Along
A friend of mine flew fighter jets over Vietnam, retired from the Air Force, then flew continental jets over the us, and retired from that too. Now he's a medic, 64 years old and reasonably competent, and has a good attitude about being the new kid on the block.

That's encouraging! But how did he get experience? Volunteering? That's what I'm trying to find out.

reichera

Forum Ride Along
I've been volunteering for 2.5 years, now, and just got my EMT-E certification (a Virginia-recognized level). I'm also a little over 50. I figure after I retire, I'll continue doing this as a volunteer. I work in a mixed volunteer/career system, and it seems to work well in this particular situation.

Don't be afraid to start something new at your age. Your medical background could be a help. As long as you are physically able to handle the work and can work in stressful situations, keep going!