EMS Work with First-Time Driver's License?

emtlibrarian

Forum Ride Along
After searching the site and around the web, I found plenty of questions/answers about getting EMS work without a driver's license (answer: in your dreams). However, my question is if you can get EMS work when you have your license, but only got it recently for the first time.

I'm taking an EMT-B class over the summer, and hope to volunteer somewhere local (Orange County, NC) after that. However, I currently don't have my license and so will be getting it around this same time, and won't have much of a driving history. Will this limit my chances of being accepted as a volunteer? I know South Orange Rescue Squad wants a three year history so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't take me, but would I have a chance with one of the fire departments? Or should I just give up/drop out now?

There are jobs for EMT-Bs in the ED, but they all require one year of experience, so that's not an option.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
It won't be so much of an issue getting hired with a new DL as it will learning to drive an ambulance with lights and sirens, and someone working/standing in the back, before you're competent to drive a 4 cylinder honda. It's certainly possible, but I'd be uncomfortable with someone driving me who doesn't have any real road experience.
But good luck, plenty of BLS volunteer places you could tech most calls anyway.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Fortunately, most (private) services near me that hire BLS providers are comfortable with fairly young folk -- they need fresh bodies as they tend to have more turnover, to my knowledge.
Many services, volley services included, as you've found, have age minimums. That's not necessarily a bad thing - driving an ambulance is a lot harder than driving a small car (or even a large SUV). Experience is a pretty good teacher for driving, I'd say.

nick Joseph

Forum Crew Member
you won't have a problem if you plan to be volunteer like u said , paid is where your problem will be. and fyi i assume you are under 21 due to not having your license , but most places where i live ( idk how it is for ur county but i assume the same ) that are volunteer won't accept anyone under 21 to drive , paid on the other hand where i live is 19

OP
OP
E

emtlibrarian

Forum Ride Along
Actually, I'm 24, just never got my license because I was able to get by with public transit, cabs, and rides from family/friends. So I don't know how that would play into the age limit system, given I'm only now getting my license.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Your age will affect your insurability with an ambulance corporation. Typically, 21 is the cut-off.
I think you will get by well enough without much driving experience, as you have fewer bad habits.