EMS Research

secureap

Forum Ride Along
Hi Guys!
Recently joined EMT LIFE. Let me introduce myself first. I am a medic, presently doing my masters in Emergency Medicine (Pre & In-hospital). Simultaneously working as an Assistant EMS Instructor in the Middle East. I am stuck with my dissertation, need your help to figure out a feasible EMS research topic related to EMS Education, Ambulance services, Scope of practice, Pre-hospital care or EMS Internship.

Thanks and Regards!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Would you be able to compare those things internationally among 20-30 countries?

OP
OP
S

secureap

Forum Ride Along
No!
Eventually, I want to keep it simple and achievable as a part of my Master Degree for now.

Earlier I proposed a study "EMS (Emergency Medical Service) Response Time and its impact on Short-term (72 hours) in-hospital mortality of Adult Road Traffic Accident Victims". But denied due to confounders.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
No!
Eventually, I want to keep it simple and achievable as a part of my Master Degree for now.

Earlier I proposed a study "EMS (Emergency Medical Service) Response Time and its impact on Short-term (72 hours) in-hospital mortality of Adult Road Traffic Accident Victims". But denied due to confounders.

Ok. How about the use of hospital diagnoses and dispositions to measure the quality of prehospital care?

Summit

Critical Crazy
Ok. How about the use of hospital diagnoses and dispositions to measure the quality of prehospital care?
That gives me a headache just thinking about manually coding prehospital field dx to be comparable with ED ICD10 codes (which maybe are easily extractable from the EHR as a distinguished from the PDx for the stay), trying to figure what is a valid match and whether to include secondary dx codes, and trying to run stat tests.

OP
OP
S

secureap

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for your reply!
But, unfortunately, here in Saudi Arabia, EMTs or Paramedics are not entitled to write their diagnosis on PCR, except for physical findings. So, not written > No Data > No Stats.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for your reply!
But, unfortunately, here in Saudi Arabia, EMTs or Paramedics are not entitled to write their diagnosis on PCR, except for physical findings. So, not written > No Data > No Stats.

The study wouldn't have to be driven by field diagnoses; it could be driven by field treatment, assuming you document that.

OP
OP
S

secureap

Forum Ride Along
I agree with Summit,
In the hospital, diagnosis keeps changing after investigations. So difficult to pinpoint on that, and it may take considerably long time to fetch a conclusion.

Any research topics relating to EMS Education?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
That gives me a headache just thinking about manually coding prehospital field dx to be comparable with ED ICD10 codes (which maybe are easily extractable from the EHR as a distinguished from the PDx for the stay), trying to figure what is a valid match and whether to include secondary dx codes, and trying to run stat tests.

Yes, it would have to be some workable subset of that. It's not a trivial exercise, but I've done it.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with Summit,
In the hospital, diagnosis keeps changing after investigations. So difficult to pinpoint on that, and it may take considerably long time to fetch a conclusion.

Any research topics relating to EMS Education?

Sure. How about exploring correlation, if any, between years of higher education and, say, longevity in EMS or earnings in EMS? Or accreditation or classification of teaching institutions as the independent variables?

OP
OP
S

secureap

Forum Ride Along
Sure. How about exploring correlation, if any, between years of higher education and, say, longevity in EMS or earnings in EMS? Or accreditation or classification of teaching institutions as the independent variables?
Ya seems challenging and feasible! But, too overwhelming for me.