Ems Newbie

kdood

Forum Ride Along
Hi all,
Heres a dumb question for you guys. Im a police officer in NYC and recently passed my EMT-B exam. My plan is to volunteer for a while then try and get a part time paid job. What i was wondering is what do you think i should buy as opposed to things ill be using that are supplied. Also does anyone know a good online store to buy what i need. Thanks for the help,and im sure ill be back on with more dopey questions in the future!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Honestly - I'd wait until after you start running somewhere, then see what everyone else brings vs. the squad supplies.

When I first started volunteering, the VFD provided good stethascopes, and no one brought their own. The squad I volunteer with now, almost everyone brings their own... it is a culture thing within the department, usually... and you won't know until you start running there.

If you feel a desire to have some sort of trauma bag in your personal vehicle... well, that's up to you. Some of us have them, some don't. I've got one, and I've only used it a handful of times in the last 7 years... and I can't say that having it really made a difference... but it is YOUR money.

Whatever you do - don't go to Galls or EMP and start buying everything that "looks cool"... and don't do it because "everyone else has one".

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
Come up to Rockland County! Plenty of vollie agencies looking for members. If interested in the busiest/best ones to work for PM me. Also, some good agencies up here.

OP
OP
K

kdood

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the replies guys. Im down here in the old Irish riviera of Rockaway so i wont be able to join the vollies up there,we have a few here im looking into. Ive been with the PD for 15 years so im really looking forward to trying something new,should be funny being the new guy with so much to learn at 37 years old. Just keep an eye open for my posts here,im sure ill be on with alot more questions once i get settled into a dept.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to tribe!!:)^_^:)