EMS Goodbyes. aka bawwwquit.

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
ok, now that the tread title has gotten some attention.

I think that im seeing a bit too many people leaving the fourm, and im wondering what we can do to retain the educators, and veterans, from whom we can learn from.

now i know that many of us have gotten into arguments about volly/paid, wackerism, bls/als, ect. but i think now is a time to set aside those squabbles.

some of us are nice, but hiding away for now, others are rash, some are impudent, and others are just plain abrasive. but i think we can all learn from each other.

im sorry if i crossed the lines with this thread, and rrealize it may be deleted on name alone.
I also know i have argued with a few of the people i have mentioned...not naming names, you know who you are.
but please, i want to learn more. and no, i dont really give a d@mn about the differences of styles of steths, or how you carry yours.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I think that im seeing a bit too many people leaving the fourm, and im wondering what we can do to retain the educators, and veterans, from whom we can learn from.

Imagine that you are the coordinator of a paramedic program. You have 20+ years of field experience and you have been involved in every facet and setting of EMS, rural, urban, chase, private, municipal third, fire-based, educational, flight, hospital-based, political, etc.

Now imagine your class. You have a few good students, people who want to learn and be the best paramedics they possibly can. People who grow in this field by leaps and bounds every time you see them. You'd no doubt be proud of these students.

Now imagine that the majority of your class don't care. Imagine they they're just in class because their FD wanted them to be a paramedic, or because nursing school was full, or if it's just a pitstop on the way to PA or medical school. Imagine that they possess less EMS knowledge than you flush into the sewer system on a daily basis during your morning constitutional, and they want to become paramedics as fast as possible with the least amount of work.

Now imagine that the school administration comes into your classroom and starts kicking the good students out of the program because they make the slackers feel stupid. If your adjuncts protest, they are given the boot as well.

Would you stay?

Summit

Critical Crazy
Imagine that you are the coordinator of a paramedic program. You have 20+ years of field experience and you have been involved in every facet and setting of EMS, rural, urban, chase, private, municipal third, fire-based, educational, flight, hospital-based, political, etc.

Now imagine your class. You have a few good students, people who want to learn and be the best paramedics they possibly can. People who grow in this field by leaps and bounds every time you see them. You'd no doubt be proud of these students.

Now imagine that the majority of your class don't care. Imagine they they're just in class because their FD wanted them to be a paramedic, or because nursing school was full, or if it's just a pitstop on the way to PA or medical school. Imagine that they possess less EMS knowledge than you flush into the sewer system on a daily basis during your morning constitutional, and they want to become paramedics as fast as possible with the least amount of work.

Now imagine that the school administration comes into your classroom and starts kicking the good students out of the program because they make the slackers feel stupid. If your adjuncts protest, they are given the boot as well.

Would you stay?

Wow...

You just earned a nail-on-the-head award!

article-1025743-0190986200000578-967_468x482.jpg

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Ok I wasn't going to get into all of this.
But just want to make a couple of points.

1. I never had a problem with JP (Talking from a chatroom point of view), and up until yesterday, like many others I didn't know he was banned from the site.
He would not have been banned unless he broke EMTlife rules.The Mods have been says for months now they have had enough, Zero Tolerance just means that.
Just like every other person that gets sent packing.That is between the person banned and the Mods to sort through.

2. As far as this Team JP thing goes.What gives??????
You guys trying to turn the site into a us verses them. 5th grade gang forum.
I can only guess who is behind the idea. No surprises there really.

3. If you don't like it here...move on.
I did from other EMS sites I was with.
The one I was with, was a break away site. Meant to Educate EMS too the skies.
The site has been dead for the past 2 years.....why is that I wonder?
I'm not saying it not good to be well educated in this industry, it is.
But some people tend to forget. We all start from the beginning..with the question about stethoscopes or whatever...so what!
Does that make that person not want to make the most of EMS. Noooooooooooooooo....it means they are willing to learn and need help selecting the tools of their trade.
Just as you did when you started. There are threads for all degrees of information on here.
4. Just sort of wanted to add one more thing....this is a EMS site not and MD site. Having MD's or trainee doctors on here is great.
They are not gods though, they are people. Some people tend to forget that at times.

Enjoynz

Summit

Critical Crazy

Fieldmedics died because of mismanagement by the site owner. The site began to approach critical mass for the forum, which you have to do to get a self sustaining forum (you have to recruit up to that point and especially lock in good contributors). If there's not enough interesting activity on the site, people don't come back.

However, management decided to dilute the forums with too many subforums for the amount of traffic on the forum (something EMTLife has been very good about not doing) and then lock them from site of browsers with the idea of forcing them to join (something only the highest traffic forums ever consider, but few actually implement). The forum began to lose people. Membership went up, but views and posting went down. The site died a quiet death.

Management was warned by many with experience, but they thought they knew better.

Sasha

Forum Chief
A couple of points I'd like to make. I generally like this forum, I think it does a good job of staying on track. I know I am not well liked on this forum, especially by the moderators, and I don't really care. I take what I need from this forum, and that is the educational post. Thankfully I have contact information for those who have left that I care to keep in contact with to supplement the new lack of educational material on this forum.

I've noticed most (not all) of the people who are in dissent of this thread and the Open Letter are people who are no longer in EMS.

I'd also like to point out how slow the forum has been today, now that most of the "major players" have left, or are banned.

And yes, I was the first with "Team JPINFV". So what? We are not going around causing trouble, It's a simple custom user title and signature to show that we disagree with his ban. Does it change anything? No. Does it harm anything? No. I'll change it once his ban is up on 10/9.

Last edited by a moderator:

Summit

Critical Crazy
I've noticed most (not all) of the people who are in dissent of this thread and the Open Letter are people who are no longer in EMS.

Er... I'm trying to clearly read that... meaning those that do not agree with the premise of this thread are no longer in EMS? Or that those who started this thread are no longer in EMS?

Because I'm definitely using my EMT in a prehospital setting.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Er... I'm trying to clearly read that... meaning those that do not agree with the premise of this thread are no longer in EMS? Or that those who started this thread are no longer in EMS?

Because I'm definitely using my EMT in a prehospital setting.

Those that do not agree with the premise of this thread and the open letter to MMiz are no longer in EMS.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
or because nursing school was full, or if it's just a pitstop on the way to PA or medical school.

Are there still people who believe that EMS is "on the way" to med school? Mind you, I'm taking the scenic route.

Aside from that, you got it.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Sasha means me Summit. And no I do not work on an ambulance anymore.
No secrets there...I do have retired on my profile.
My husband does though....hence one of the reasons I still show an interest in EMS still.
What that has to do with anything being said on this thread. I have no idea.
Other than trying to get a dig in at me, because of the comments in my thread.

Enjoynz

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sasha means me Summit. And no I do not work on an ambulance anymore.
No secrets there...I do have retired on my profile.
My husband does though....hence one of the reasons I still show an interest in EMS still.
What that has to do with anything being said on this thread. I have no idea.
Other than trying to get a dig in at me, because of the comments in my thread.

Enjoynz

If it was just you, you would've been named but it's not just you, joy, relax. I am not attacking anyone.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Now imagine that the majority of your class don't care. Imagine they they're just in class because their FD wanted them to be a paramedic, or because nursing school was full, or if it's just a pitstop on the way to PA or medical school.

That is not very accurate. The posters on this forum who'se future aspirations include medical school, PA school, nursing school, etc have for the most part proven them selves to be valuable additions to EMS. They are smart, they strive for professionalism during their time here.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I wasn't talking about you or JP. I'm talking about those who take paramedic with the misconception that it will earn them brownie points when they apply to those programs.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Sasha, I don't think you're unliked...wait, why're we talking like 5th graders here?

Is "reality television teaching us to make it all into a soap opera, zero-sum, him-or-me, smackdown thing? Or do more of us need to get a life?
I like you, but it's immaterial really. I've been a little tweaked by some people's posts and responses (strangely, none of your...so far!;), but in the end it's all banter except for the good learning points.

I can understand why people looking for this to be a pure Apollonian learning experience get frustrated, and I can understand when people who want to whiz past basic and advanced street level stuff get really impatient when some of us want to keep it at a lower level. Especially when they start obsessing about gunfighting and knives and other features which may reveal their true ages (or levels of social development).

A website like this has to be part houseparty and part meaningful exchange.

You know, we have a basically unused chat channel. Why not do a "flash mob" there once a week but do it for educational purposes only? Get a guest speaker etc.? Or just agree to play it seriously and stick to a topic.

I like EMTLIFE, it's like my favorite pub; if you don't like it, take a breather down at Denny's, come on back later, we'll make room for you. Just don't start mouthing the customers or the management.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Amen, mycrofft. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I wasn't talking about you or JP. I'm talking about those who take paramedic with the misconception that it will earn them brownie points when they apply to those programs.

I suspect those types usually don't care enough to stick around and contribute to an EMS forum, if they even join in the first place.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I suspect those types usually don't care enough to stick around and contribute to an EMS forum, if they even join in the first place.

You mean like all the other unprofessional whacker "one-post wonders" the zero tolerance policy was put in place to appease?

Summit

Critical Crazy
I like EMTLIFE, it's like my favorite pub; if you don't like it, take a breather down at Denny's, come on back later, we'll make room for you. Just don't start mouthing the customers or the management.
If all you former EMS people are looking for a Pub, why are they on an EMS site?:rolleyes:

I do like your comparison of present EMS Education to Dennys. :unsure:

You know, we have a basically unused chat channel. Why not do a "flash mob" there once a week but do it for educational purposes only?

So education should be banished off to a chat room where the records are not kept for later reading. Got it. :wacko:

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
1. I never had a problem with JP (Talking from a chatroom point of view), and up until yesterday, like many others I didn't know he was banned from the site.
He would not have been banned unless he broke EMTlife rules.The Mods have been says for months now they have had enough, Zero Tolerance just means that.
Just like every other person that gets sent packing.That is between the person banned and the Mods to sort through.

He could also have been banned because he corrected or disagreed with somebody, that person whined to the mods, and that was that. Poor whacker got his feelings hurt, so they have to fix it.

2. As far as this Team JP thing goes.What gives??????
You guys trying to turn the site into a us verses them. 5th grade gang forum.
I can only guess who is behind the idea. No surprises there really.

Are you familiar with the concept of nonviolent resistance? The site got turned into us vs. them the second this policy was put in place. I'm still convinced that the real purpose of the zero tolerance policy is to eliminate those advocating education, professionalism, and change. Because if there are any things that large groups of the EMS population (read: volunteers and firefighters) fear, those things are medical education, professionalism, and ESPECIALLY change.

3. If you don't like it here...move on.
I did from other EMS sites I was with.
I'm not saying it not good to be well educated in this industry, it is.
But some people tend to forget. We all start from the beginning..with the question about stethoscopes or whatever...so what!
Does that make that person not want to make the most of EMS. Noooooooooooooooo....it means they are willing to learn and need help selecting the tools of their trade.
Just as you did when you started. There are threads for all degrees of information on here.

I'm betting the site is dead because of the same reasons this site is dying... the whackers, volunteers, and firefighters don't want education or professionalism, they want a hobby or a patch. And the ones that went there pulled the same "baaaaaawww" BS that the uneducated here are pulling.

I never asked for suggestions on stethoscopes. I went out, tried several, then picked the one within my means that I liked best. You know, like adults do.

4. Just sort of wanted to add one more thing....this is a EMS site not and MD site. Having MD's or trainee doctors on here is great.
They are not gods though, they are people. Some people tend to forget that at times.

And there are no such things as medical directors, medical command, or Pre-Hospital Physicians? EMS is MEDICINE... doctors are practitioners or medicine... that means that they should come into the discussion here. They are providers with a MUCH MUCH higher level of education than you or I. Translation, shut up and listen to them.