EMS Explorers

Hockey

Quackers
My company just created EMS Explorers.

I was involved in it when I was younger with police, and know about fire, but what do EMS Explorers do? Ride a longs? What else? Do they receive any training before they can do anything? I thought they couldn't due to HIPPA or something like that?

Every time I ask at work they say "We're working on it" :rolleyes:

So if someone can fill me in with details like what they do, that'd be great! Thanks!

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Your explorers would need to go through HIPAA training to ride...

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I'm an EMS adviser for our local Explorers Post. Same first aid as in boy scouts. Only now they get better toys to play with (longboards, BVMs, etc.). Our Explorers don't do ride alongs due to insurance liability.

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
I ride at the fire dept and have since my freshman year. I went through HIPAA and now have enough experience that I can help out a bit (like help move a patient and things like that). If they are shown the rigs and where things are and a basic run of what they are used for it's a good thing! Also talk to them about different calls, like what to do if this happens...

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I started in EMS through a Medical Explorer post back in the late 70's(!) in Pontiac, Michigan. We had to obtain the ARC Advanced First Aid cert and ARC or AHA CPR card prior to riding on the trucks, and were not permitted to do any patient care unless under direct supervision of the EMT or Medic. Usually this was nothing more than getting a second set of vitals or doing compressions on an arrest. It was an invaluable experience, and I'm certain that my affiliation with the Post changed my life, too; mostly because I started dating this certain little cutie-pie when I was riding. We'll celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary in July. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
train them on how to wash, inventory and restock and ambulance properly. this serves two goals.

1) its an integral part of ems and if you instill in them how to do it properly before they even get their tickets, it will make them more throrough emt's.

2) free labor.

NJN

The Young One
train them on how to wash, inventory and restock and ambulance properly. this serves two goals.

1) its an integral part of ems and if you instill in them how to do it properly before they even get their tickets, it will make them more throrough emt's.

2) free labor.

Good Ideas Kev...

And if its a small service teach them to do officer work like filing reports.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Where i am you can be a First Responder at 14, so they let the children "assist" the EMTs. Then of course there are all these other regulations dealing with time and school nights. So they don't really do that much, but it gives them good exposure.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
im not totally on board with them treating patients. maybe riding third and acting as gophers, but getting hands on with the patients isnt kosher.

theres a bunch of stuff you can have them do. just getting the oppurtunity to hang around the house would be enough motivation for the average kid to chip in and do some work.

give em a t shirt with the corps logo on it, let em pull the air horn chain on the way to a call and they'll be all set.

MJD1521

Forum Probie
This is how we break down or Explorers (or Cadet Corps, as we call them):

1) Non-Riding Members
2) Riding Members
.....certified CPR/AED & First Aid
.....certified CPR/AED & First Aid EMT
...........EMT 3rd
...........EMT 2nd

To break it down some more detail:

Both types of members receive constant training during our drill nights (once a week) on several different types of EMS tools and procedures from back-boarding and hare-traction splint to knowing the difference between what a nasal cannula is and a NRB. Basically, our Cadets receive similar training to what will be found in an EMT-B classroom over the course of the year through our drill nights.

1) Non-Riding Members. Members of the Cadet Corps who are either not of age to ride yet (16+ years old) and/or do not have CPR/AED certification for basic riding permission. In order to even observe on the ambulance, CPR/AED and First Aid on a Healthcare Provider equivalency is required.

2) Riding Members. Riding members are broken down in 3 ways: Certified CPR/AED & First Aid, EMT-B (3rd), EMT-B (2nd).

The first level (Certified CPR/AED & First Aid) are only allowed to assist an EMT in providing patient care in regards to giving the EMT materials such as nasal cannulas and backboarding materials. Limited patient-contact.

EMT-B (3rd's) are those who just received their EMT-B certification and are on the Cadet Corps. They are not allowed to ride by themselves nor treat by themselves until the Captain of the Cadet Corps, the Cadet Advisors, and the Cadet Officers are comfortable promoting them to EMT-B (2nd's), where the EMT-B Cadet is allowed to treat a patient completely alone in the back of the ambulance.

That is how we've been running it for a while and it works pretty well. The Cadets that are genuinely interested learn a lot and those that are not interested usually quit due to the high demand of meeting requirements and vigorous rig testing and such.