EMS As a contractor

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
i was wondering, what do you think about contracting yourself out to an organization?
or pretty much having multiple contracts as an individual with multiple organizations to be an on site EMT?

Would that be legal first of all?
and what do you think about cost Vs. profit?

just curious about it. thoughts ideas appreciated.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I started to reply with my answers geared towards the thinking you were wanting to contract with multiple companies which already provide standby service. However, upon reading again, I think you are asking about hiring yourself directly to events and not working for a company which normally provides this service.

Is it legal? Absolutely. Start a business, get yourself licensed, insured, bonded, hire a Medical Director, acquire the supplies, go out and market yourself which will require a lot of man hours and material, and then wait for that gig which returns very little margin on total investment unless you have a lot of projects (quantity).

Can it be done? Absolutely. Will it be competitive and difficult? Absolutely.

You are essentially starting a business and that is the one way venues will hire your services.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
The main issue I foresee is with state/local laws in regards to medical direction and authority to act as an agency/service. In most places in the US, an EMT cannot just go and practice by themselves under their own authority.

OP
OP
Run with scissors

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
The main issue I foresee is with state/local laws in regards to medical direction and authority to act as an agency/service. In most places in the US, an EMT cannot just go and practice by themselves under their own authority.

too many laws. perhaps a lawyer may be required for a clear answer to these questions. and yes, that is a lot of investment. what places would need that sort of service anyways?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You would indeed need a lawyer and some professional accounting advice. A lot of places require this, who, what and when is for you to discover. It would be your business after all. :)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Well you can always be the Worker Bee and work for the companies who already do it...

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'm very content being a worker bee. I learned a long time ago that I have no desire to be responsible for anyone but myself.