EMR Course advice in Western Canada?

Goldbird

Forum Ride Along
Hi Everyone!

Want to start off by saying reading some of the posts here have been really helpful, so thanks! I'm looking at doing an EMR course and wondering what your advice would be (thinking the Canadian College of EMS or JIBC).
As well, how hard is it to obtain a job as an EMR and how often would you need to recert?

As a little background on me, I'm a Stage Manager who works on large-scale theatrical productions that use a lot of heavy automation (usually just have sprains with dancers, etc, but things can get serious quickly with what's moving around on a dark stage). Was looking at the EMR course to be more trained in responding to emergencies beyond first aid, and as a possible job in the 2 months I get for vacation after every 4 months.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts or comments you all have!

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Out of those 2 schools I believe that JIBC is the one that is CMA accredited. some other choices would be Portage College in Lac La Biche or Augutana College in Camrose or AHASTI in Calgary and Red Dee.

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
There are a ton of schools in Alberta that sound like they would suit your needs. Visit www.collegeofparamedics.org for details. There is a list of accredited schools in Alberta there.

As for finding a job as an EMR, there are a number of opportunities in industrial and rural EMS. Check under "Employment" at the ACP website to get a feel for whats out there.

Best of luck!

Wee-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I took my EMR at SAIT in Calgary and I really really enjoyed it. They really prepared us for the ACP exam. If not SAIT, do it with the AHASTI.

RielHalfbreed

Forum Probie
I took my EMR at SAIT in Calgary and I really really enjoyed it. They really prepared us for the ACP exam. If not SAIT, do it with the AHASTI.

Agreed I don't have a tonne of great things to say about my guys who come out of SAIT but AHASTI is far and away amazing!

BenKen0bee

Forum Ride Along
I would recommend Emergency Services Academy above the rest, just from my experience there. They'll prepare you for employment, over prepare you for the ACP exam, and even help you find a job afterwards. http://www.esacanada.com They are located in Sherwood Park, a township just off of Edmonton. Small classes, and over qualified, active, Paramedics teaching.

As for getting re-certified, you'll just have to stay current through ACP. If there is an additional or new module for your level of training, EMR, you'll be expected to take it. In order to even get a job as an EMR you'll need to be registered with ACP, which including examination (if you pass the first try) is about $1000. Good luck.

sarahb

Forum Ride Along
Could anyone tell me what the deets are on gettin certified in BC? I am a licensed EMR in Saskatchewan.

BC EMS

Forum Ride Along
There is no accreditation through CMA for the Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) program. Only PCP and higher.
Never has and likely never will be. Each Province/Territory's regulatory body reviews and approves the EMR program leading to licensure when that bodies exams are done successfully. In BC your exam is $400 and you have 3 opportunities to get licensed. You can then take that BC license to another Province under AIT (Agreement on Internal Trade).

sarahb

Forum Ride Along
So I have to redo the course and exam to get my license in BC?? The other link said that I'd have to redo the jurisprudence exam online and then I'd be golden.

BC EMS

Forum Ride Along
BC will recognize a LICENSE from another province but not a course certificate from another province. AIT requires recognition of licenses but not certificates unless an industry uses certificates (such as OFA, etc...)

So if you have a license from another province, then yes you should be fine with the jurisprudence exam and application. If you have only a certificate from another province then yes, you will will need another course in BC to get you a recognized BC certificate to allow taking a BC licensing exam.

sarahb

Forum Ride Along
Well that's peachy then, I'm licensed in SK.:) Has anyone heard of LifeSupport Patient Transport in Parksville?