Emr acp testing

Bduncan

Forum Ride Along
The only stupid question is the one not asked so here I go, I have my acp testing for emr coming up soon, and I cannot remember for the life of me when to administer drugs such as glucose or Asa, is it after you take vitals in the scenario, or before? I'm kicking myself for this.

martor

Forum Crew Member
Why would you administer anything before you established Vitals? How can you administer glucose without knowing that the pt is ALOC and BSL under 60? O2 is probably the only thing you will apply with only a general impression. Also check your skills the order you need to follow for the scenario is pretty clear.
This is not a stupid question, just a lazy one.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The only stupid question is the one not asked so here I go, I have my acp testing for emr coming up soon, and I cannot remember for the life of me when to administer drugs such as glucose or Asa, is it after you take vitals in the scenario, or before? I'm kicking myself for this.

Do you have a textbook or notes from class?

Side question . Can you guys use glucometers... It has been a while since I looked at the ACoP profiles other than medic

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Why would you administer anything before you established Vitals? How can you administer glucose without knowing that the pt is ALOC and BSL under 60? O2 is probably the only thing you will apply with only a general impression. Also check your skills the order you need to follow for the scenario is pretty clear.
This is not a stupid question, just a lazy one.

We treat a bsl that is below 3.9 to 4.1 mmol. Depending on the province.

And there are times when you would administer a medication before a full set of vitals other that O2.

martor

Forum Crew Member
We treat a bsl that is below 3.9 to 4.1 mmol. Depending on the province.

And there are times when you would administer a medication before a full set of vitals other that O2.

I know the normal bsl in CA is betweem 60-120.

Yes, sometimes we need to administer before a FULL set, but never before any vitals are done. Although i would love to to know a few examples.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I know the normal bsl in CA is betweem 60-120.

Yes, sometimes we need to administer before a FULL set, but never before any vitals are done. Although i would love to to know a few examples.

A truely bad anaphylaxis(near death) on arrival will get a shot of epi from me while my partner is getting vitals.(before he/she has a chance to get most of them) And more on the als side... Active seizures, psych pts who need a B52 or similar to name a few off the top of my head. These things do not happen all the time and I am not advocating giving meds without vitals unless it is in the best interest of the pt.