Employment Interviews

keithdb2

Forum Ride Along
I'm going to start taking interviews with various EMS services in my area and was wondering what sorts of questions you have faced during your interviews. I'm an EMTB applying to private EMS companies.

Any thoughts would be helpful! Thanks.

K

firecoins

IFT Puppet
how long have you been an EMT? How much experience do you have? Are you customer friendly? Can you arrive on time? Do you bang out?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I always liked the questions.. Give examples of...
A time you had a conflict with a co-worker and how you handled it.
A work experience that you feel shows you at your best/worst
A time when you felt your personal ethics contradicted the job you were hired to perform and how you dealt with that conflict.

And remember, try to find a weakness that is a backwards strength.. "I'm a bit too much of a perfectionist"

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Dress well. A jobshirt is NOT job interview attire (seen it). A button down shirt and tie isn't a bad idea.

EMTryan

Forum Crew Member
Remember that all of the questions that are going to ask really are to better help them answer this question...why should we hire you?? What can you bring to this company/ambulance service??

Always remember that as you prepare for the interview. A good question that they may ask is...
Why do you want to be an EMT? A slightly different variation of this is...What experiences do you have in EMS and if you don't have any past EMS experience, what attracts you to this profession?

I remember one really good question from my interview: It is your first day on the job. You are dispatched to a priority call and your partner is driving. Your partner is a senior employee with years of experience but in your opinion he is driving in a very reckless and dangerous manner. What would you do??

My answer, tell him to slow down. We are absolutely no good to anyone if we crash en route to the scene. If he refuses then you can bet that I am driving to the hospital and I am going to talk with the supervisor if the problem continues.

Good luck with your interview!