Emergency medical responder vs certified first responder

Fair enough @DrParasite , but FWIW I think this still has some application even to the original topic...for which I have yet to even see the OP reply to.

Yeah, the departments I had looked at that provide this type of service were 4-5 station departments roughly. You make some good points, and assuming you're a FF (you are, correct?), your input on this thread further serves as relevant not only to the OP's original post, but to the general direction this thread has taken. I am not a FF, FF/ EMT, or FF/ PM, so logistically I have nothing to back my ideas up, this is just what I had running through my head.

And yes, the stories you hear from California have some truth to them, but like anywhere, it boils down to individual perception. Many do become disgruntled, and complacent, but hey that can happen in any line of work. I did it for roughly 5 years in the county most everyone here moans and groans about, and do you know what I took away from it? What kind of paramedic I DID NOT want to be, and how I DID NOT want to deliver patient care. I also observed those that did a solid job on the way to the ED as their second set of hands, and those that did not (I had my fair share of "discussions" with those that I felt were subpar). So, to me when I hear people that come from where I am pissing and moaning, I get it...to an extent. It is on that individual, as it was on me, to realize they can do something themselves about it, or continue to be complacent, and disgruntled in their delivery of care, but either way placing the blame on the system itself, or it's particular deployment model has little to do with their own accountability for their level of care, or lack there of, as a technician/ clinician.

If you're truly interested in medicine in a prehospital setting, it will persevere through most any form of burn out, or complacency. And in order to tie this back to the original topic, I understand budgets may not allow it, but even at the basic EMT level, you're focus is on the importance of proper BLS delivery and it's place in the prehospital setting. I don't know that the same can be said for EMR, or an EMR course, but by all means, correct me if I am wrong.

Back