Edmonton EMS adds Segways to fleet

K9kazoo

Forum Probie
July 15, 2008
Edmonton EMS adds Segways to fleet
Set to patrol Capital Ex parade

By FRANK LANDRY, CITY HALL BUREAU

Emergency Medical Services Operations Supt. Stu Williams on a Segway. (Jason Franson/Sun)

City paramedics are rolling into action this summer.

They'll be patrolliong a number of events over the next couple of months using Segways – the two-wheeled mobility devices operators stand on to use.

Read the rest here: Clicky

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
hahahaha.....really? wow i can run faster than those things.

Buzz

Forum Captain
hahahaha.....really? wow i can run faster than those things.

While I do not doubt that you are able to run at that thing's max speed, I guarantee that thing can definitely outlast you at that speed.

I find it amusing as well, but apparently police are using them too. I think when it comes to having to navigate in crowded areas, I'd still rather use an ATV modified to carry a patient anyways. People seem more likely to move out of the path for something like that, plus you can carry more gear and actually move the patient if you need to. For patrolling, anything else would be sort of pointless, but doing standby for an event, who really goes out patrolling?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
One of the disadvantages of a Gator-type vehicle is that in thick crowds, it takes time and energy to get people out of your way. If you are on a segway, the space needed is much narrower, thereby speeding your travel.

Segways are useful for both EMS and PD because they raise the operator another 6-8" above the crowds - allowing them to see what is going on.

The purpose of Segways is similar to bikes for EMS - they get trained personnel and equipment to the patient quickly... then they get to wait for transport.