Eager to Learn

Sublime

LP, RN
As a follow up, I just received my copy of Walraven's Basic Arrhythmias($6 well spent!) and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for going through the text since they claim it to be a "self-teach" program. Thanks!

Dude that book breaks everything down and makes it really simple. Read it and look down at the answers to the missing spots in the text, then try to read over it until you don't need to look down at the answer. Then just study the hell out of those strips.

ethomas4

Forum Crew Member
I agree that the sooner you start medic school the better. Coming from someone who was thrown into an ALS rig from day 1 and into an ER in a very busy, sometimes war like environment ( I was not in the military but worked in a country that was going through a drug war) EMT B experience here is generally not going to help much, it helps some but not much in my opinion. You have a good attitude. Keep pushing the limits and learn as much as you can as quick as you can. If you want really good experience go abroad for a bit, you will be able to touch as many patients as you want nad you will be forced to raise you intellectual and clinical level.

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
All of the above are true however I would like to suggest that the best studying you can do is seeing patients and doing calls at the EMT level. What you learn there - how to talk to people, touch them, run a call, deal with other rescue personnel, is invaluable.

I couldn't agree more with Merck's comment above! You'll learn plenty of "book medicine" in school.

However, your interaction with your pts and fire crews and hospital staff is truly what will set you apart from other medic students.

I've worked with medics who truly seemed to be near-geniuses, but their "bedside" manor was awful or they had no tact in dealing with the fire side or ER side of pt care.

On the other hand, I've met medics who weren't necessarily brilliant, but they were so good at dealing and talking with people, you couldn't help but respect them.

So, take advantage of the time in the back of the ambulance or at clinicals to really develop good pt contact qualities.

And most important...ENJOY YOURSELF!!!

Take care,

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
You'll learn plenty of "book medicine" in school.

Is there a different kind of medicine that I'm not aware of?

On the other hand, I've met medics who weren't necessarily brilliant, but they were so good at dealing and talking with people, you couldn't help but respect them.

Maybe it's just me... but I'd rather have a competent medic who was a **** work on me, than an incompetent one that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Not saying bedside manner and good rapport are not important; it just seems like your priorities may be slightly askew... :)

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
Is there a different kind of medicine that I'm not aware of?

Maybe it's just me... but I'd rather have a competent medic who was a **** work on me, than an incompetent one that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Not saying bedside manner and good rapport are not important; it just seems like your priorities may be slightly askew... :)

Agree to a point. Only pointing out that there's the stuff you learn in school (the "book" part) and then there's the stuff you learn on the street (like bedside manners and stuff).

Also, a pt deserves a medic who knows what they're doing. I agree with you. But, I'd prefer working with someone who knows tact than someone who is a genius but rubs everyone (including the pt) the wrong way. So, I don't really think my priorities are "askew" at all. :rofl:

Good points though!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Agreed! You can be the best medic in the world, but if you're a **** then people will still complain about you. You think any of the patients we treat know the difference between a STEMI and a stroke? They don't, and they don't care either. They just want someone to take care of them. You gotta be nice, compassionate and professional if you're going to earn a patient's trust. Then, even if you're a second rate hack, the patient doesn't even care because they feel like you are taking care of them and looking out for their well being.

Not that that should give you license to actually be a hack... Plus, ask anyone who's familiar with medical lawsuits what the common denominator is in most suits brought against providers. Guaranteed it initially had less to do with any actual malpractice and more to do with the provider being a jerk...

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Personally, I'd rather have a competent jerk take care of me than a saint with the medical knowledge of a mushroom. I'd happily take the quality treatment with the occasional snide remark than have shoddy medicine thrust upon me. My opinion isn't reflected by most of our patients though. As LocalMedic said, most patients don't know the difference between a stroke or a STEMI and are just looking for a comfortable ride, kind words, and a hand to hold. In the ideal world, this shouldn't be even be a dilemma. The truly great providers know there's no need to be cruel to anyone and can practice good medicine while still being a decent human being.

MountainMedic

Forum Probie
Sorry you're getting all that "EMT-B first or straight to medic" debate crap. Like most arguments, it doesn't matter either way.

I was an EMT while in college for pre-med and got my medic while studying for the MCAT. The "book knowledge" is, IMHO, pretty pathetic. A good medic needs to know MUCH more than what they learn in their program. That noted:

1. Spend as much time as possible in a busy ER. You will see MANY more patients, and doctors and nurses will likely be able to explain much more about the patient's state than a field preceptor, and they'll have more time to do so. Focus on how the patient is worked up - a true history is way beyond "SAMPLE," and many medics never even really learn how to do a real exam. ABOVE ALL ELSE - go into medic school with the ability to take a great history and do a great exam, and then form logical differential diagnoses based on your findings.
2. Hamilton and Trott "Emergency Medicine." Written for med students/residents doing their ER rotations. Very well organized. Contains lots of extraneous info, but teaches the "clinical decision-making" you will need.
3. Dubin for EKGs is pretty great. The more in depth texts (I used Grauer) put your findings in a better clinical context.
4. Lippincott Pharmacology. Don't focus on specifics, but learn the different classes of drugs and how they work. Learn to recognize suffixes (-lol for beta blockers, -pam for benzos, -pine for ACEIs, etc)