Dumb Question Probably

CodyHolt83

Forum Lieutenant
I keep seeing a certain private ambulance service around Rockwall County, TX that the side of the ambulance says, ''BLS Ambulance/MICU.'' Can it really be called a MICU if only staffed with Basics?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I keep seeing a certain private ambulance service around Rockwall County, TX that the side of the ambulance says, ''BLS Ambulance/MICU.'' Can it really be called a MICU if only staffed with Basics?

It's most likely a MICU capable BLS truck. All of our trucks out here are certified through the state as such, since we run either ALS or ILS (for texans that's ALS or MICU) instead of just guaranteed paramedic coverage.

OP
OP
C

CodyHolt83

Forum Lieutenant
It's most likely a MICU capable BLS truck. All of our trucks out here are certified through the state as such, since we run either ALS or ILS (for texans that's ALS or MICU) instead of just guaranteed paramedic coverage.

That makes total sense! Thanks for the response!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Just be happy that Rockwall EMS is dual Paramedic, and that the private ambulance (I know of which you speak) is typically on the southside of Dallas.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Isn't that advertising that if you need to get Gramma Grunch to the hospital or SNF, we're a BLS ambulance (or we'll send one) and if you are in a REAL emergency then we'll send paramedics in it. Like, "There could be paramedics inside!", establishing the service as either/or. Saves them from designating rigs.

That's how I read it, anyway.

94H

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds like the ambulance we had to do a Paramedic Assist on yesterday that was a "Specialty Care Unit".....BLS of course

OP
OP
C

CodyHolt83

Forum Lieutenant
I've been meaning to look the company up online. Now that I have seen the box once, I see it all the time. Maybe they are new to the area...Anyone know anything about Elite EMS, and my new recognition of them to Dallas, TX area?