Dropping out of University for Paramedic

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Done good.
Screw frats.<_<

Jmo371

Forum Crew Member
A side story, our MD-1 in my VFD was a Medic for 5 years before med school. He said he would not have given his time as a medic up for the world and it gave him an entirerly different perspective on Medicine especially pre-hospital. He now runs the ER at hospital in my area and is a great doctor.

So what is right for one person may not be right for the next...do what you think you will love and you can always change your path later.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I have to warn you there are people who loved EMT school, then got to Paramedic school and decided to hell with this, or even worked the road as an EMT and decided this sucks. Something to keep in mind before you quit school. Even some experienced EMTs in my Paramedic class wondered what they got themselves into and decided its not worth the trouble(or were basically told during clinicals they aren't cut out for this).

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Does anybody have any advice, or have ever been in the same situation?

I didn't read any of the replies so sorry if this is repeated.

I would strongly urge you to finish your degree. It will never be easier to get one than right now. If you give it up, you mght never be able to get back in this position. On the contrary, medic school is always available, isn't as expensive, and doesn't take as much time. You could easily do medic school while working, not the same for BS. Yes you can get a BS while working, but not easily.

In my experience, EMS is a great job, but not a great career. Advancement is limited, salary is limited, and you are one back-injury away from having no career. What will you have to fall back on? A BS in chemistry or nothing at all? You may even learn, after a few years on the truck, that you want to go back to school, to be an RN, PA, or MD/DO. Without your degree, you will now have to go back to school to get it, while working, going to class part time, it might take 6 years to get your prereqs, all while paying per credit as a non-traditional student. You might only be able to take classes at a community college, and won't be accepted on your application because they aren't "university level". On the other hand, with your chem degree, you will not only have the degree and preregs, you have a firm grasp on the basics of physiology and pharmacology, which would set you up to be a great doc, PA, or even a great medic, if that is what you choose to be.

Medic school will always be available, but getting a BS gets harder as you get older.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Sorry, Tim, my experiences with them as an EMT were very bad, and recent statistics cited on NPR show that while they furnish a very significant percent of student housing, they have to self-insure because of the preeminence of alcohol-related injuries and assaults.

And a local one had a five foot long alligator living in its basement.:ph34r:
Truth! (UC DAvis).

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
And a local one had a five foot long alligator living in its basement.:ph34r:
Truth! (UC DAvis).

Well, Davis' School of Veterinary Medicine IS top notch, no doubt they were just studying it to broaden their horizons, right?

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
Well my friend, Paramedics are underpaid, I would suggest finishing EMT-B and trying to work as an EMT-B and see if you like to move further into EMS. Currently I am an EMT-B still seeking employment, tough for probies that have little experience. This fall I am going to enter a Surgical Technologist training two year AAS degree. STs make around 50,000-70,000 a year. If you want to go for paramedic that is your choice. Patient care is important and I feel that money is not the important thing in patient care. It's helping people. This my suggestion and opinion.