Driving Policies

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
At a recent Roadeo driving course/test, I got a packet with all the information on driving. Here were a few points I found interesting.

• Company policy is that no ambulance is to speed over 10 MPH for any reason.

• Company policy is that ambulances are to stop at every intersection, then proceed

• Company policy does not allow non-employees to drive the ambulance. That means FD or PD can not drive while two medics are in back.

• Whenever lights are on, sirens must also be on. It is suggested to cut off lights/sirens on highways or interstates where traffic is flowing at above normal speed. Example: Around here the speed limit is 65 MPH on the interstate, meaning most cars go 70-80.

Everyone passed the test without problem. It was some standard national test that the guy said almost everyone in the US takes.

A couple things I've observed with EMS driving in the field:

Everyone wears a seatbelt. I have yet to find a single person that doesn't wear one at all times.

• It's much easier to drive with a regular partner. It's a good feeling knowing you can trust a partner when she yells "Clear right"

• When going through busy intersectins with several lanes, it's usually easier to use the second from left land, kind of like parting the sea :D

I'm not sure where that post came from, maybe it's a sign I need to pick up a shift.