Dress code when volunteering

Schroeder

Forum Probie
I've had some difficulty finding any answers about this topic, so here goes.

If you are providing volunteer medical support for an event (unaffiliated with the agency you work with), is it appropriate to wear some identifier your healthcare provider status?

Either way, what kind of legal ramifications/issues could be possible?

Example situation: Providing standby medical support for a race, and wearing a shirt that has a star of life emblem.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Why would you be providing volunteer medical support at an event on your own without some sort of oversight? In WA don't you have to have a medical director to operate as an EMT B?

OP
OP
Schroeder

Schroeder

Forum Probie
Not to provide EMT-B level support per say. More along the lines of first aid, CPR, and the ability to recognize that more help is needed.

leoemt

Forum Captain
Not to provide EMT-B level support per say. More along the lines of first aid, CPR, and the ability to recognize that more help is needed.

In WA State the minute you perform first aid "professionally" you need to be licensed and have a MD approve you. This includes event "medics" or "first aiders".

You are operating "professionally" by informing people that you are the healthcare provider if they should get hurt. Even if your not being paid, you are giving the impression that you are a competent healthcare professional.

No legitimate event is going to hire or use someone as an event "medic" without an approved EMT or Medic. The liability is too great.

The Good Samaritan Law will not cover you in this situation.

Wearing anything to identify you as a first aid provider automatically voids the Good Samaritan Statue and opens you up for liability and possible banishment from being certified in this state.

You would get in big trouble.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
is it appropriate to wear some identifier your healthcare provider status?

As in HCP CPR trained? Wear whatever the organization your volunteering for wants you to. Don't represent yourself and anything other than a person that know CPR (wear normal clothes).

OP
OP
Schroeder

Schroeder

Forum Probie
In WA State the minute you perform first aid "professionally" you need to be licensed and have a MD approve you. This includes event "medics" or "first aiders".

You are operating "professionally" by informing people that you are the healthcare provider if they should get hurt. Even if your not being paid, you are giving the impression that you are a competent healthcare professional.

No legitimate event is going to hire or use someone as an event "medic" without an approved EMT or Medic. The liability is too great.

Wearing anything to identify you as a first aid provider automatically voids the Good Samaritan Statue and opens you up for liability and possible banishment from being certified in this state.

Ok, this is pretty much what I was looking for. I've heard a few different things. The last answer I got gave me the impression that as long as you were acting within your scope of practice, you were ok even if identified as a healthcare provider.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Ok, this is pretty much what I was looking for. I've heard a few different things. The last answer I got gave me the impression that as long as you were acting within your scope of practice, you were ok even if identified as a healthcare provider.

without medical oversite you have no scope of practice and technically aren't an EMT. You are EMT trained....there is a big difference.

OP
OP
Schroeder

Schroeder

Forum Probie
without medical oversite you have no scope of practice and technically aren't an EMT. You are EMT trained....there is a big difference.

Well, the confusion stemmed from Washington State's good samaritan law, which states that volunteers are covered.

But that makes sense as EMT's are not licensed, but certified.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

As per Canadian law? lol

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
As per Canadian law? lol

I work in the US as well. In Canada where I am we are self regulated (I own my scope of practice) In Maine I am only a Paramedic when on the clock (working under a Doctor), when off the clock I cannot go beyond basic first aid. I was told this was the same for the rest of the US.

Last edited by a moderator:

leoemt

Forum Captain
Well, the confusion stemmed from Washington State's good samaritan law, which states that volunteers are covered.

But that makes sense as EMT's are not licensed, but certified.

No the WA State Good Samaritan Law DOES NOT cover volunteers. The minute you enter an official capacity your no longer a good samaritan, you are now a professional.

If you call 911 because your house is on fire, you would expect the people on the fire engine to be trained fire fighters, not auxillary or buffs, right? Same is true for the medical side.

Whether you volunteer or are paid, if you are staffing a first aid station, the public has an expectation as to your training and certification. Since it is common knowledge for EMT's and Medics to be staffing these, that is the baseline for which you will be judged.

Anyone can perform First Aid (that is why we teach it), however the minute you state that you are the first aid provider then you are no longer a layperson. Its all in the language of the law.

RCW 18.73 covers EMT's and authority.

You can legally practice medicine as a professional in the State of WA when the DOH website says you are ACTIVE.

Being a student or being First Aid trained, does NOT qualify you to provide coverage for events. That is not to say you couldn't assist someone up to your level of training, but to be representing yourself as the professional responder would be violating the law.

DOH is VERY strict on this and you would likely face a lifetime ban in addition to potential civil and criminal charges.

I understand you want to help out and you are probably excited with your new training if your a student. However, it is not worth the consequences. There will always be special events for you to cover once you get your certification.

If that is what you are interested in, and your close to Snohomish County, you might inquire with Stat Response as that is all they do.

Keep in mind you can't be certified in WA until you have a Sponsorship.

If you have any other WA questions I will be happy to answer them for you.

OP
OP
Schroeder

Schroeder

Forum Probie
That actually complicated things.

If one has their certification (affiliation and all) can they provide volunteer medical support while off duty?

I understand that without a certificate, you cannot provide care. That is not the issue here.

leoemt

Forum Captain
That actually complicated things.

If one has their certification (affiliation and all) can they provide volunteer medical support while off duty?

I understand that without a certificate, you cannot provide care. That is not the issue here.

To provide professional care you need an MPD. Remember, healthcare providers operate under the license of an MPD.

To put it in simple terms, it comes down to what a REASONABLE and COMPETENT person believes.

Lets use this as an example: lets say you are attending the Puyallup Fair. You walk into the farm animal display and slip in some cow poop. You think your fine, but after an hour of walking your ankle begins to hurt. You see a person walking around with a fanny pack and a t-shirt with a giant star of life on it. What would your expectation to this persons' level of training be? You would most likely think the provider was an EMT or medic right? I doubt you would even consider the fact that they might just be "first aid" trained.

Lets take it a step further. Lets say I am the one that is injured and your the provider. You say "oh you just need an ice pack" and you give me such. However, what if I slipped because of an underlying issue and the "cow poop" was just a coinicedence? What if the underlying condition, would have been something a Basic or Medic would recognize, and I now have complications because you didn't catch it. You gave me an ice pack and sent me on my way.

Who is your MPD? What protocols are in place? What is your refusal process and how is it administered? What about insurance? What happens if you "treat" someone and they want to sue?

How far are you in your EMT class? The legalities is usually covered in the beginning of class.

Here for your reading enjoyment: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=18.73

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=4.24.300 (WA good samaritan law)

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
I work in the US as well. In Canada where I am we are self regulated (I own my scope of practice) In Maine I am only a Paramedic when on the clock (working under a Doctor), when off the clock I cannot go beyond basic first aid. I was told this was the same for the rest of the US.

Yes. You are correct. All prehospital care in the US is done a medical director's license (or in some cases more than one medical director).

zmedic

Forum Captain
I would also point out that you have to protect yourself, since you as a medical provider know a lot more about the laws regarding EMS than random event managers. So there are plenty of places that would say "oh, we need a medical tent, we need some EMTs to cover." They aren't going to know that you should have a medical director.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Cut to the chase

Ask your presiding EMSA.

Personally, I think if you are doing first aid, have "FIRST AID" and maybe a red cross on a visibility vest or brassard (arm band).

However, I can't download a copy of the AMA's measure H-130.987 (identification of emergency medical provides) but it apparently doesn't limit the star of life to anyone, it can be on a box of bandaids or Paramedic Light Beer. (ARC does not like the red cross being used on anything that's not theirs). Wikipedia says AMA trademarked the Star of Life in 1967 (!).

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
What is this EMSA you keep referring people to? I think that may be a location specific acronym.

Shepard

Forum Crew Member

As far as I understand it the first part is right. You're supposedly being compensated and not acting "in good faith," so the Good Sam law wouldn't apply. (Correct me if this reasoning is wrong.)

The second part I'm confused about. You would be just as liable if you wore a plain shirt and sat in the first aid Booth and did first aid as you would be if you did the same thing with a shirt that said first aid on it. If I went to the fair with an EMT or FD shirt on and I did some procedure that was within my scope I would be absolutely covered by the Good Sam law unless I was volunteering or being paid by the agency. It doesn't matter what you wear as long as you don't do anything outside your scope. Which I this case I believe would be giving a bandaid or an ice pack and calling 911 for anything bigger.