Dreams/Nightmares about Work

Summit

Critical Crazy
Not in a long time.
But I hear the alarms when I try to sleep.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Since I moved to an area where we are NOT busy; and I work with people that have not worked in a busy service; I don't have the old fashioned way to blow off steam of just talking about bad runs with coworkers. {My fire department not to long after I started brought in someone for CISD [one of our classmates died in an apartment fire] we made the counselor cry}. Doing CISD has never seemed to work for me.
Not even talking about particular runs seems to help me; just talking about stuff we have seen helps the best, but I can't do that with co workers here at my FT job.

about 3 years ago I started having nightmares about runs, and about things that didn't happen but could have; and patients (especially babies) asking me why I didn't save them: Patients that there was nothing I could have done to save them, unless I could have gotten there hours earlier and beaten the mothers boyfriend bloody, before he did that to the baby.

So I started working PT 2 years ago at a busier service, and that has seemed to help a little; some of the people have been doing EMS long enough that we can talk (and joke) about bad stuff we have seen and done and that actually helps.
And I started counseling a few months ago, and that has seemed to help some too