Does this make me a bad EMT?

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
Honestly, I learned back when I was a cop that unless you are on duty and have a duty to respond, do nothing unless there is immediate threat to life or limb if you do nothing. I did stop at a pretty bad MVC on a rural road about 9 months after I graduated from my EMT class. Guy took a steering wheel to the chest and had about 4-5 broken ribs it felt like when I checked for crepitis, he was glad I was there when the next guy stopped and thought he was in cardiac arrest and wanted to start CPR....that would have hurt like hell!!! Just helped keep the guy calm while rescue and the ambulance were en-route, and gave them updates on basic vitals. 15 mins later the guys with the gear where there and I finally took a deep breath...Been certified just over 2.5 years and that is still the only time I have stopped.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
What would you do before you were an EMT? If they let you (the passengers are the train crew's charges), just sit, talk, help her feel less scared and helpless while waiting for the ambulance to come.

You were bare handed and off the clock. An assessment like that would not yield info you could use. Sometimes you make people comfortable, protect them from public spectacle, and make sure the cavalry's coming.

Yes, this.. Preforming a Cincinnati assessment isn't really that important in a situation like this, but you can assess ABC's from a distance. That's when I'd step in if off duty.

CFal

Forum Captain
The conductors on the train I ride let EMTs and Fire ride for free when they show credentials, it helps us out, and they know who we are in case we are needed.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I never stop unless something is occurring that is immediately life threatening, and I can do something about it. Without our tools and drugs, there is little that we can do beside call 000/911, which would have been done anyway.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd stop and see what I can do to help -- maybe something, maybe nothing. If it were a member of my family in distress, I'd want you to do the same.