Does this make me a bad EMT?

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Hello, all. I have a kinda stupid story, but I'd love some feedback and help with this.

First off, I'm an AEMT, and belong to a rural volunteer ambulance corps. We run about 1000 calls a year. In our area we have several waterways, including a river, a few ponds, and two large lakes (one being a reservoir).

About a month ago, we got toned out for a 15yo male, possible drowning. Now, having so many waterways, we usually get a couple of these every summer, usually being some kid who swallowed a little water, sputtered for a minute, and scared mom to call the ambulance. Me and a fellow volunteer were the first onscene to the beach, followed closely by a fire chief (we had several fire departments on the way with boats and dive equipment. The ambulance was a little bit behind us, waiting for the crew to be assembled). We come to find a police officer looking around confused. We get out of my car, and a few people run up to us, telling us different variations of the story - theres one person in the water, there's two people in the water, someones drowning, someones lost, they're on this side of the lake, they're on the other side of the lake, etc. I look towards the boat launch, and notice that the fire department has arrived, and is loading boats into the water. The ambulance gets onscene, I tell them to go to the boat launch, and go from there. We get there, send out several boats, while the lifegaurds hired by the lake are looking around as well. Finally, after about 45-50 minutes, command starts thinking that this may be a prank call. I get ahold of dispatch, and ask them to try to get a hold of the original caller, have them find us so that we can figure out what's going on. That's when it happens. One of the boats got around to the opposite side of an island in the lake, and finds a family screaming and crying, stating that their brother/cousin/son went underwater over an hour ago. (Now, mind you, they shouldn't have been in this area of the lake. It is a restricted area.) The divers start looking in that spot. Finally they find the kid. Turns out he was 22, not 15. I look out over the lake, to see the boat coming in, one of the firefighters doing CPR. It suddenly became real to me. I assisted getting the stretcher down, helped load the kid into the ambulance, and jumped in to start doing my job. But suddenly, everything went "funny." I looked at the kid, whom at the time I thought was 15, and all I could think of was my 16 year old brother. The age hit me like a ton of bricks. The whole scene was overwhelming. I won't get into graphic detail, but each tiny thing is still etched into my memory like I'm looking at it right now. I almost vommited, and jumped from the ambulance and made a run to my car. (For the record, I didn't at all compromise care. I was a first responder, so he had all the care he needed from the set crew.) I sat in my car, and sobbed. I could barely drive back to HQ. I was an absolute wreck. It really made me question everything about this "job." I love it, it's something that truly makes me happy, but I suddenly became terrified of the way this call had made me feel. What if this happens in another call? What if I'm actually in charge of a call and this happens to me? What if I can never handle any type of call after this?

I did my first real call since that call last friday. It was a Cardiac Arrest. We get on scene to find enough blood to, at first, suspect a GSW. (turns out the woman had lung cancer.) My stomach tied into a knot, and all I could think about was that I couldn't do this. Suddenly, that exhilerating feeling you get though this job ran through my veins. I shook my head, and jumped on in, doing what I needed to do. I actually threw a combitube, which i'm still SUPER proud about.

So, I guess I have a few things I need reassurance on. First off, does it make me a bad AEMT since I was so terrified by the drowing? I feel like I should be confident and sturdy through everything, and I felt so weak. Second, is it bad that a code and combitube is what brought me back into the game? I'm sorta all mixed up now. I've never been more confident than I am now that this is meant for me. But I'm still hung up on that drowning.

HELP! lol.

Thanks for any input! :)

Sasha

Forum Chief
Im probably going to have an unpopular opinion but if you couldnt handle it to the point that you ran away, then this really isnt the job for you.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lady_EMT

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Im probably going to have an unpopular opinion but if you couldnt handle it to the point that you ran away, then this really isnt the job for you.

Assuming you're post got cut off? And I'm sure I'm going to have some responses I don't like.

I've been doing this for almost 4 years, and have seen plenty that would bother me if I wasn't meant for this. I'm just trying at this point to figure out why this particular call bothered me, but why seeing someone who looks like a splattered tomato doesn't.

Edit::

I think it's just because I thought he was my brother's age at first. All I could see was the face of my brother on his face. He was so young...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So, I guess I have a few things I need reassurance on. First off, does it make me a bad AEMT since I was so terrified by the drowing? I feel like I should be confident and sturdy through everything, and I felt so weak. Second, is it bad that a code and combitube is what brought me back into the game? I'm sorta all mixed up now. I've never been more confident than I am now that this is meant for me. But I'm still hung up on that drowning.

Bad? No. Makes you human. EVERYONE has a call that gets to them.

I honestly don't view what you did any different than someone fainting or vomiting uncontrollably from what they see. Emotions got to you a single time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Bad? No. Makes you human. EVERYONE has a call that gets to them.

I honestly don't view what you did any different than someone fainting or vomiting uncontrollably from what they see. Emotions got to you a single time.

You dont view someone as running away as bad?

CheifBud

Forum Crew Member
A bad EMT? if it doesn't compromise the patients care then generally speaking, No. Everyone has things that will get to them, kids for example, kids with trauma always make my stomach turn. Now if this is happening frequently and are having such an impact doesn't mean you're a bad EMT but maybe that EMT is Bad for you.

I guess to answer the question No, that will happen, but if it is happening often then its always your call, there are other jobs you can use your EMT license in that will involve a lot less traumatic injuries and interact a little less on the down and dirty side and a little more on the health CARE part of it.

I don't think your competence or ability to do you job is at question but DON'T EVER question yourself as a person if EMS isn't something you want to continue, just means you have a bigger heart than the rest of us :D

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I'm gonna have to go with Linuss on this one, it just makes you human. Almost every, if not every, EMT will have one call that will truly shake them...the thing is that you can't let that stop you from caring for your patient. There's no shame in crying AFTER a bad call, but you have to do your best to keep your composure on scene.

Don't let something like this deter you from doing something you love, however, if this starts to become a habit, then you might want to start looking into a different field of work.

Ryanpfd

Forum Probie
Ok, Im kind of lost with what to say.
Ill tell you this though, everyone has a bad call, I have had calls that still
think about all the time. Its how you deal with them. I dont really know what a AEMT is. Im guessing ALS? But I can tell you that you did legaly abandin your patient, and I would hesitate working with a person who can't take the heat. But we are all human, so Ill leave you with this.
"The first mistake is a learning curve, the second is a :censored::censored::censored::censored: up"

OP
OP
Lady_EMT

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you everyone for your support and replies. As I said, in four years, this was the only time I've ever had this feeling. And since then, I've learned so much more about myself and this field, that I couldn't think of not being a part. It sort of reminded me that these are people, not just patients. Im in love with every aspect, and like a few if you said, it's a good reminder that we are human, not just medical robots. :)

OP
OP
Lady_EMT

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Ryan, as I said, I was simply an extra. My patient's care was never compromised. There was a medic, several other AEMTs (EMT-Is) in the back of the ambulance. If anything, it was a clown car at the moment. I would never allow my patients care to be threatened.

BEorP

Forum Captain
My opinion:

Are you a bad EMT for having those feelings? No.

Was it bad to run away? Yes.

Does this one incident mean that you can never be a good EMT? No.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
I don't think this makes you a bad EMT. As you stated earlier and others have pointed out, patient care was never compromised. Also, it sounds like this is a one-time occurence, and that you are trying to learn from the experience. If this has happened in the past or happens again in the future with any regularity, then there would be some cause for concern...barring that, I think you'll do just fine.

Also, it's good that you're able and willing to discuss this experience. If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend talking it over with someone other than an online forum, whether that be family, friends, coworkers, ministers, other health professionals, or whatever. As someone who really doesn't enjoy talking about their feelings I know that it can be tough, but it is certainly beneficial, and even necessary in a lot of cases.

Good luck!

tickle me doe face

Forum Lieutenant
Ryan, as I said, I was simply an extra. My patient's care was never compromised. There was a medic, several other AEMTs (EMT-Is) in the back of the ambulance. If anything, it was a clown car at the moment. I would never allow my patients care to be threatened.

Had you not been an extra would you still of fled the scene?

If you were the primary provider, would you still have deserted your patient?

Sasha

Forum Chief
She didnt compromise care this time, but what about the next call that bothers her? Are you going to run from every call that gets to you?

Maybe im a hard nose but if i was on that scene and you ran, you would no longer be welcome on my scene

Sasha

Forum Chief
You view someone throwing up on scene from seeing something gross as a "Don't ever do EMS" type of event?

Throwing up isnt the same as physically running from a scene.

We arent even talking about calmly excusing yourself from the scene, we are talking about fleeing. There is something wrong with that. She was extra THAT time but what about the next 15/22yo she is dispatched to?

Last edited by a moderator:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
She was extra THAT time but what about the next 15/22yo she is dispatched to?

This.

You might be the only crew on scene for the next one. What then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasha

Forum Chief
You turn your head, throw up and keep going. You are not running away and abandoning them.