does the fear/nerves ever go away?

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
So it's been awhile since I've had this topic on my mind. I completed EMT training and got state certified last year. The next step was supposed to be fire academy but I guess brain hit overdrive and I let my fear get the best of me. I love the subject matter and the application and everything, but being out in the field left me nervous and as much as I really wanted to jump into fire I was really kind of scared of it all. Since then I've gotten a different job, but this just continues to linger. Does this happen to anyone else? Am I crazy for still wanting to jump back in even though it seems I'm so scared of it all? Thanks for any input.

Bennyems

Forum Probie
Sometimes you just need to jump. I was really nervous to start medic school, but after having been in the field for awhile and being exposed to all these things, I'll be started in the spring!

I'm kind of in the same boat, I got licensed last year, but was unable to work in EMS, when I finally got the opportunity I was so nervous, but it was the best decision I've ever made.

OP
OP
A

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
Sometimes you just need to jump. I was really nervous to start medic school, but after having been in the field for awhile and being exposed to all these things, I'll be started in the spring!

I'm kind of in the same boat, I got licensed last year, but was unable to work in EMS, when I finally got the opportunity I was so nervous, but it was the best decision I've ever made.

Thanks for the advice. That's pretty much how I feel. What you said really made me think..what if im just really scared or nervous because I've never been exposed to any of it. Definitely seems possible.

Any advice on how to get passed the fears and the nerves?