Does EMT experience correlate to EMT-P salary?

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
Im a New medic and have been in EMS as an EMT since 2007. I have worked in 70/30 911 to medical transfer areas in that time. Im wondering if that experience will play into my base pay now that I'm a medic.
I would assume that my time in service would correlate to experience on the job? Any advice and/or experience in this situation?

I have always been told that you would start with the BLS on every call and honestly I feel the better you are as a basic or your understanding of that skill level definitely determines how good you are as a paramedic and builds a great foundational understanding to your quality of care.

It would be a shame if my foundation as a EMT counts for nothing toward consideration of my new title of paramedic... If the latter is true it definitely fortifies thinking of paramedics who constantly try to belittle or separate themselves from EMT's .

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
At my one job that does starting pay DOE... nope, not at all. I have 2 years as a basic, 2 as an Intermediate, and I got starting paramedic pay. Not that uncommon.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
No.

FDNY will however give you time back as a paramedic if you worked for a private 911 agency in the NYC system. Time only counts towards payscale not pension. As far as EMT, they don't care if you have 100 years you get minimum pay.

9.9/10 times in EMS, resume boosters are worthless. Extracurricular education or certifications are essentially a waste of time aside from making yourself better in general.

Most employers couldn't care less how many endeavors you have or years of service they just want you to make them money for as cheap as you are willing to do it.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Im a New medic and have been in EMS as an EMT since 2007. I have worked in 70/30 911 to medical transfer areas in that time. Im wondering if that experience will play into my base pay now that I'm a medic.
I would assume that my time in service would correlate to experience on the job? Any advice and/or experience in this situation?

I have never heard of experience as a basic counting towards more pay as a medic.

I have heard it count for total years of experience in EMS for meeting application requirements.

I have always been told that you would start with the BLS on every call and honestly I feel the better you are as a basic or your understanding of that skill level definitely determines how good you are as a paramedic and builds a great foundational understanding to your quality of care.

I think you are confusing your scene management and patient interaction skills with actual medical care.

The experience gained as a basic is really not medically related. Probably no different than being a patient care rep, volunteer in a hospital, police officer, firefighter, etc.

Doing things without knowing why really doesn't give you much back.

I know of nobody who starts off every call doing CPR, putting somebody on a backboard, splinting an extremity fracture or administering oxygen. (the very hallmarks of Basic EMTs)

It would be a shame if my foundation as a EMT counts for nothing toward consideration of my new title of paramedic... If the latter is true it definitely fortifies thinking of paramedics who constantly try to belittle or separate themselves from EMT's .

Probably going to be a shame then.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but medics are seperate from EMTs.

There is a definate reason in the latest national standard curriculum "EMT" was removed from in front of paramedic.

Ever so slowly, being a paramedic is requiring more understanding of basic and clinical science. The protocols less restricitive, and more clinical judgement required.

The EMT level has recently made a maor step from where it was, but is still basically a skill focused first aid class.

When you make major changes in your level of clinical practice, it really isn't reasonable to expect to be formally recognized and compensated for such.

I think I should be paid more. But I am not.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Paramedic is a different job from EMT, thus you have no "experience" to base your pay on.

If I drove a chair car for 5 years then upgraded to EMT, should I be paid as a 5 year EMT or a first year EMT?

My company is union, when you upgrade to medic you get whatever step on the Medic pay scale that will make not take a paycut. The overlap of of pay scales is vety small so you have to be like a 9 or 10 year emt to jump to 2second step medic.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe I'll set up a paypal video channel. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Pretty sure the "career" EMS folk on the forum can't afford your hourly rate :sad:

Maybe a doc in a box hotline, pay per minute.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Pretty sure the "career" EMS folk on the forum can't afford your hourly rate :sad:

Maybe a doc in a box hotline, pay per minute.

I can lower the rate if the volume goes up.

OP
OP
E

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
Everyone is entitled. To their own opinions and I respect everyone's point of view but I have to disagree. I see that there is a difference in an EMT education and that of a paramedic but in the real world outside of the life and times of a paramedic, the education is still minimum quality in the USA. It's totally up to the provider to continue his or her education after paramedic school. If you went to a two year degree program or a six week course at TEEX and you pass the NREMT and your course, your still a paramedic. Just as a EMT at 20 years. Will the Successful EMT be more knowledgeable than the paramedic fresh outta the local community college program?... Well I would hope so.....and any pay scale not considering these factors is absurd! I'm definitely not planning on making a long life career as a paramedic full time... That would be illogical considering the pay rate average doesn't even come close to middle class life style, which is slowly becoming more harder to achieve in America. I feel that as long as EMS professionals continually divide ourselves up, we will continually be underpaid. I love EMS!! But it's really seen an entry level job to the medical field by everyone including the media,, hence jems recent article about comfusion about what we are supposed to be called generally, which is a shame because we play such a vital role in the healthcare of a patient and many paramedics I know are very good and deserve better.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
which is a shame because we play such a vital role in the healthcare of a patient

I am torn between laughing and crying.

You just stated how valuable and experienced you are but don't have the knowledge and experience to realize that not only do you not provide healthcare, but that the times EMS is "vital" averages around 5% of all patients they see.

Which in many places in the world accounts for only 10-15% of all patients seen in an ED.

Tell me, in your experience, how many industries spend most of their focus and resources on 5% of their customer base?

How vital are you when you don't even make up 1/5th of the total patients seen in the ED?

You can't even say you account for the most critical ones. Easily most of the most severe patients I have seen in an ED came in the front door by means other than EMS.

One thing paramedic class will teach you on your hospital clinicals is what goes on in the ED. Sounds like that knowledge is worth a raise over the guy who spent 10 years in the field and doesn't know that to me.

A ride to the hospital is not providing healthcare. Real quality healthcare saves more money than it costs.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Everyone is entitled. To their own opinions and I respect everyone's point of view but I have to disagree. I see that there is a difference in an EMT education and that of a paramedic but in the real world outside of the life and times of a paramedic, the education is still minimum quality in the USA. It's totally up to the provider to continue his or her education after paramedic school. If you went to a two year degree program or a six week course at TEEX and you pass the NREMT and your course, your still a paramedic. Just as a EMT at 20 years. Will the Successful EMT be more knowledgeable than the paramedic fresh outta the local community college program?... Well I would hope so.....and any pay scale not considering these factors is absurd! I'm definitely not planning on making a long life career as a paramedic full time... That would be illogical considering the pay rate average doesn't even come close to middle class life style, which is slowly becoming more harder to achieve in America. I feel that as long as EMS professionals continually divide ourselves up, we will continually be underpaid. I love EMS!! But it's really seen an entry level job to the medical field by everyone including the media,, hence jems recent article about comfusion about what we are supposed to be called generally, which is a shame because we play such a vital role in the healthcare of a patient and many paramedics I know are very good and deserve better.

You seem to be living in the delusion that is envisioned by many newer or lesser experienced EMS providers.

The reality is EMS is a dying breed that was hardly ever alive to begin with.

The role of the paramedic is slowly evolving but at the rate it will take to become anything desirable you should just escape EMS. Many places are still in the Stone Age.

Nothing personal but if I was your employer I wouldn't even consider negotiating your pay to anything above the minimum. You have no experience as a paramedic and that is all that counts. If you don't like it, more often than not, especially in this economy as you stated, there is 10 other people willing to do it instead of you. Probably at a lower rate.

Accept the truth and live with it or embrace your ambitions and strive for more as many of us have/are.

Veneficus is a prime example of rising above your limitations. You should take his advice for everything it's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
At AMR, or at least our division, you start at a "paramedic 2" level. Which means you start at the rate you would have been at after your first raise. But ONLY if you've been here long enough to get your first raise as an EMT.

OP
OP
E

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
I am torn between laughing and crying.

You just stated how valuable and experienced you are but don't have the knowledge and experience to realize that not only do you not provide healthcare, but that the times EMS is "vital" averages around 5% of all patients they see.

Which in many places in the world accounts for only 10-15% of all patients seen in an ED.

Tell me, in your experience, how many industries spend most of their focus and resources on 5% of their customer base?

How vital are you when you don't even make up 1/5th of the total patients seen in the ED?

You can't even say you account for the most critical ones. Easily most of the most severe patients I have seen in an ED came in the front door by means other than EMS.

One thing paramedic class will teach you on your hospital clinicals is what goes on in the ED. Sounds like that knowledge is worth a raise over the guy who spent 10 years in the field and doesn't know that to me.

A ride to the hospital is not providing healthcare. Real quality healthcare saves more money than it costs.

I understand and fully agree with you on the actual role of a paramedic...seriously. The context in which the quote that you have above is more or less a way for me to wrap up the point I was trying to make without coming and saying basically that a paramedic really counts for nothing in the grand scheme of patient care...after all we are on a forum board called EMTLIFE...:D

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I understand and fully agree with you on the actual role of a paramedic...seriously. The context in which the quote that you have above is more or less a way for me to wrap up the point I was trying to make without coming and saying basically that a paramedic really counts for nothing in the grand scheme of patient care...after all we are on a forum board called EMTLIFE...:D

And professionals openly discuss problems and shortcomings of their respective industry.

It is a method of self improvement.

OP
OP
E

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
You seem to be living in the delusion that is envisioned by many newer or lesser experienced EMS providers.

The reality is EMS is a dying breed that was hardly ever alive to begin with.

The role of the paramedic is slowly evolving but at the rate it will take to become anything desirable you should just escape EMS. Many places are still in the Stone Age.

Nothing personal but if I was your employer I wouldn't even consider negotiating your pay to anything above the minimum. You have no experience as a paramedic and that is all that counts. If you don't like it, more often than not, especially in this economy as you stated, there is 10 other people willing to do it instead of you. Probably at a lower rate.

Accept the truth and live with it or embrace your ambitions and strive for more as many of us have/are.

Veneficus is a prime example of rising above your limitations. You should take his advice for everything it's worth.

I agree with you on all of this... honestly I was afraid to come out like you just did because of pissing off people who have dedicated many years to ems in their professional career.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
In the places I have worked (or looked into working at) there is not usually a wage increase for time in EMS, either as a medic or EMT. I've seen signing bonuses if you already have certain certs, but that is about it.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
no. That is the answer to the title of the thread.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
At AMR, or at least our division, you start at a "paramedic 2" level. Which means you start at the rate you would have been at after your first raise. But ONLY if you've been here long enough to get your first raise as an EMT.

I thijnk that might be why I started at base pay, since I'd only been here 5 months when I upgraded to medic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I don't think EMS is a dying industry, but it will change.