Doctor's offices

mariat753

Forum Probie
Wow, it's great to talk to the EMS community again. I've just got to get this thought out...I spent thirteen years in EMS, everywhere from the suburbs to the inner city. And I remember vividly how most of us looked at doctor's offices like "what a bunch of idiots who don't know anything about emergencies". Well, karma is a b****. I went back to school, became a PA, and now work in Internal Medicine. Everytime I have to deal with EMS, it's a humiliating experience. What really pushed me to think about it was a day recently when I went to another office in the building to check on a sick employee. Near syncope, turned into left sided chest pain, bradycardic, for which the patient was being considered for a pacemaker by her cardiologist. Put on a nasal cannula, ran an EKG, and when EMS came, wanted to give them a quick report and get out of their way. The paramedic pushed by me, pressed on the patient's chest and said, "does this hurt? Does it hurt if you move your arm?" The patient was admitted and cathed. It makes me sad to be on the other side and realize how I'm considered now.

FFMedic1911

Forum Crew Member
Welcome back to this crazy world.Just remember all ems providers are not the same.I myself am considering going to PA school,but haven't made my mind up yet.Feel free to share your knowledge here.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome back to EMS. Even though you aren't currently working in EMS,t would be great for you to stick around and help answer questions and debate some of the latest treatments.

You will find that some EMT's and Medics have no patience for medical staff in an outpatient setting - because they've been burned by them before, or they've seen incompetence before. Of course, we see the same treatment of EMT's and Medics by some ER staff, becuase they've learned the hard way not to trust our H&P's/assessments. This usually occurs because of a few bad apples... and oftentimes takes effort to "fix", because you need to gain the trust of the EMT or Medic... and that takes time. Of course, there will be morons in every crowd that won't listen to you, no matter what. We've all got to deal with them.

I'm not sure what sort of community you live in, and what your free time is like... but if you are in a suburban/rural setting... have you considered picking up a few low-paying or volunteer shifts with the local EMS agency, even as just an EMT-B? We've got a PA who volunteers occasionally with our company, and he also helps as an instructor... I've learned a lot from him over time, and I enjoy running with him.

Just a thought, though.

Jon

OP
OP
M

mariat753

Forum Probie
Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. Yes, I am thinking of taking a few shifts somewhere...I've got the time now that for the first time my job is 8-5, no weekends, no holidays!!! My cert has lapsed, and it was in NJ, and I'm now in Connecticut-- so I imagine I'm going to have to take the whole course over again<_<I definitely miss it (although my back doesn't).

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, welcome. I think it would be great to do some shifts on the road again. Like mentioned, fortunately not all of us are those just to push you away. Although... I attended to an accident earlier and a doctor was on the scene. Sad to say she was so clueless to what was goin on with the patient. He sustained a few injuries, but the only thing she was doing is stroking his hand.

What gives!? She did not even know the patients name or any other injuries... now that's the doc I'll push away. But what I gathered...you've got some savvy...:)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief