Do you guys remember every problem and symptom that was in the book or am I killing myself 4 nothing

josh rousseau

Forum Crew Member
Am I expected to remember everything in the book or am I loosing my mind for nothing I’m a couple weeks until done with emt class and I’m freaking out

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Josh, remember in high school when you were tested in math, history, science, etc? You didn't have to memorize everything in your textbooks in order to pass, but you had to be able to distinguish between what was more important and what was less important. One of the ways you did that was paying attention to what your teachers stressed in class. Another way was taking tests along the way that further indicated what was particularly important.

EMS classes are similar. Use the same skills you did to get through high school which, according to your profile, you must have graduated recently.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
No. You have a semester of education without concrete experience to relate it to. You definitely need to know the big things, but nobody will expect you to deduce pancreatitis vs diverticulitis or anything like that. However, you will build your ability to ask the right questions with experience and learning from calls.

What will be expected is that you know your equipment. Know when it is appropriate, how to use it, when to not use it, where the back ups are, how to trouble shoot, etc. I don't expect my partners to handle the clinical side of stuff, but I have plenty that can and do. I do expect that if my hands are tied and I need something done, that they can do it while I focus on my tasks.

Today was a great example. There was an EMT that I don't particularly have a lot of confidence in helping us check out our truck so we could get cleared faster. He checked the monitor and said it was good. Well I get to a chest pain call and my cables weren't in the back. Fortunately they were in the truck, but it turns out it was a STEMI and him not putting them back delayed me catching it as quick as I could have. Not a great way to build my already lacking confidence in what he tells me. On the other hand, I have partners I have absolute trust in when they tell me I need to do something or be aware of something.

Learn how to be very good at the core parts of your job for now, that is what your partner will count on the most. The finer details will come with time and experience. Even the members here with 10+ years of experience are still learning things they didn't know.

OP
OP
J

josh rousseau

Forum Crew Member
Josh, remember in high school when you were tested in math, history, science, etc? You didn't have to memorize everything in your textbooks in order to pass, but you had to be able to distinguish between what was more important and what was less important. One of the ways you did that was paying attention to what your teachers stressed in class. Another way was taking tests along the way that further indicated what was particularly important.

EMS classes are similar. Use the same skills you did to get through high school which, according to your profile, you must have graduated recently.
I like the connection and yes right out of high school into ems what would u stress as top 5 most inportant other than typical ABC

OP
OP
J

josh rousseau

Forum Crew Member
No. You have a semester of education without concrete experience to relate it to. You definitely need to know the big things, but nobody will expect you to deduce pancreatitis vs diverticulitis or anything like that. However, you will build your ability to ask the right questions with experience and learning from calls.

What will be expected is that you know your equipment. Know when it is appropriate, how to use it, when to not use it, where the back ups are, how to trouble shoot, etc. I don't expect my partners to handle the clinical side of stuff, but I have plenty that can and do. I do expect that if my hands are tied and I need something done, that they can do it while I focus on my tasks.

Today was a great example. There was an EMT that I don't particularly have a lot of confidence in helping us check out our truck so we could get cleared faster. He checked the monitor and said it was good. Well I get to a chest pain call and my cables weren't in the back. Fortunately they were in the truck, but it turns out it was a STEMI and him not putting them back delayed me catching it as quick as I could have. Not a great way to build my already lacking confidence in what he tells me. On the other hand, I have partners I have absolute trust in when they tell me I need to do something or be aware of something.

Learn how to be very good at the core parts of your job for now, that is what your partner will count on the most. The finer details will come with time and experience. Even the members here with 10+ years of experience are still learning things they didn't know.
How do learn to ask the right questions with time is it by observing your partner or ???

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I like the connection and yes right out of high school into ems what would u stress as top 5 most inportant other than typical ABC

- Communicating with patients, partners and the public.
- Documenting calls legibly and thoroughly.
- Following rules until you really understand the pros and cons of breaking them.
- Learning to lift safely and effectively.
- Doing your share to maintain supplies and equipment.

OP
OP
J

josh rousseau

Forum Crew Member
- Communicating with patients, partners and the public.
- Documenting calls legibly and thoroughly.
- Following rules until you really understand the pros and cons of breaking them.
- Learning to lift safely and effectively.
- Doing your share to maintain supplies and equipment.
Appreciate it thank you