Do you carry ammonia inhalants

Do you carry ammonia inhalants on your truck?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My interventions, my assessments, they all remain unchanged whether they are alert or not.
interesting... a physician told me the most important part of their assessment was the patient's history and their history of present illness... you are saying that doesn't matter...
Now what I have seen, when we did carry the inhalants, was the abuse of them. More times than not, it was abusive in nature, or just an annoyed provider. I even witnessed a Medic who taped one to the cheek of a patient who was faking. That patient received a chemical burn on their cheek and rightfully so, the medic was written up and disciplined.
that medic should have been terminated, and a complaint with the state should have been filed to have his or her certification revoked. That's completely unacceptable, and that is not how ammonia should be used.
Will someone here please tell me the clinical benefit of the inhalant and maybe an anecdotal story of how the use of one completely changed the course of your treatment for the patient?
a fair question... before I answer, what is the clinical benefit of a trap squeeze? or a sternal rub? or (insert your preferred painful stimuli here)?

from a clinical perspective, it allows me to wake someone up, which changes their condition from unconscious to not. That change allows me to ask them what happened, get my SAMPLE and OPQRST questions answered. and if they want to go to the hospital, they can walk out to the truck, instead of me hurting myself carrying them (provided they are stable enough do to so).