Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
rutt roo...

0210-04.jpg

is it warm in here. or is it me?

~S~

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, it has been unseasonably warm this year. 60's in December... 50's in January... That's just not normal, last year, here in Potter Co., Pa anyway.. It was more than ten below zero for 19 days straight. That wind blowing in off Lake Erie crawls between the ridges of NY & PA, and it sweeps across the north country counties. Back in the mid 90's, we had four years in a row where the snow came before Halloween, and didn't melt until late May. In 93 we only had four months with out snow, same with 94, 95 & 96. Starting in 97 the water table began to fall, and we had wildfires from August of 97 till July of 99. Hardly any snow, little rail.

I really don't mind it, except for the fact that it kills our town. We're a big vacation area, with the PA Grand Canyon just down the road. Our tourist industry depends on lots of snow for dozens of very popular events. People come from all over the world for the snowmobile races, dog sledding, skiing, etc.. But as of now, there isn't even a pile of snow laying around outside.. Ten years ago, given any storm system coming off the lake, which isn't that far away as the crow flies.. We would have weekly snow storms, even daily, the least amount I ever seen, other than flurries was six inches. But by now there would be two feet packed down.

Last edited by a moderator:

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
A little uneasy down this way as well. The water temp in the Gulf is already 8-10 degrees above normal for this time of year.

And I think we all have learned what warm water in the Gulf means.

Pretty soon, Hurricane Season will run from April 1 through December.

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
i had this thought that there might be a rise in heat related incidents for ems....?

~S~

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm more of a grab a pail of ice and water, and use towels kind of person myself. I don't like chemical packs.. Holes. Leakage. Ouch?

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
sort of a naturalist approach Wacker?

you ever try it on the back of the neck for a nosebleed?

~S~