Do prescription drugs disqualify you from being an EMT?

Josh4010

Forum Probie
I recently got my emt-b license and i take valium only at night for mild anxiety. If i go to work for a service would they disqualify me?

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends....

I would talk to the company you are interested in working for. Depends on the drug and the company I would think.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Maybe if they aren't YOUR prescription drugs...;)

Probably won't ever come up unless you try to take them on duty overnight, or if you are drug tested and either can't produce the Rx, or the blood level is too high.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
In general, no, they shouldn't.

As long as it's not a BS prescription for something like marijuana, or some at places, actual narcotics, you should be good, so long as it doesn't effect your ability to work.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
And don't offer any to your boss.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Like they all said you should be fine.

Don't take it within 8-12hrs (each employer should have a policy) before a shift, don't take it at work and have a valid script come drug test time and you should be fine.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
my buddy shoots up with insulin at work, so I would say no, but it depends on your state and agency.

Vao

Forum Probie
Being honest about this is your best bet. Don't take a drug test and then say "oh yea! I forgot to tell you about...."

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I would assume most employers would be more interested in WHY you're taking the drugs rather than the drugs themselves.