Disaster Aid planning?

AShaddeau

Forum Probie
What kind of role does the EMT/Paramedic play in the event of a tornado? Does your agency have a disaster aid plan? I'm currently trying to figure out the chain of events that happen during a tornado, such as National weather alert, then what? <_< I'm new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
A

AShaddeau

Forum Probie
But what are the steps taken.For instance, When a tornado warning is issued- what the steps in the process you take.Who makes the decisions for your group? Do you have a disaster response plan?

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
If you are writing a plan for your agency you should check with your local emergency management agency. Try to make your plan fit into the overall plan for your locality. Check with other agencies to see what they have in place and look at any older plans your agency has. Coming up with a CEMP (Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan) is no small task, good luck if that is your goal.

If you are just curious as to how disaster planning is done then there are any number of websites and text books available. I would try a google search or start with your state EM agency. You might also take some FEMA courses on it, they are free and most are available on line.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
As someone who is extremely experienced in natural disasters my observation is thus: all plans go out the window, no one is "in charge", and you have to think outside the box and do what's best for your patient.

emt6207

Forum Probie
I'm a an EMS newbie, but prior to joining the ranks here I'm a volunteer for my counties EMA, as an EOC worker, emergency communications and several other roles. For the most part, disaster's have binders on the shelf, each one has a plan for who will do what and when. As someone else has already mentioned they almost never get touched except for drills and updates.

As far as EMT's you will do the same thing you always do, there will be things like opening shelters, and whatnot but that won't be at the emt level, thats up to public health and red cross and other departments. The EMT role in a tornado disaster is the same as if you had a big MVC you will respond like normal, there will be triage, take the high priority to the hospital rinse repeat. About the only thing that might happen differently is if you weren't working you get called in to assist, but only after something happens. They hardly ever call anyone in ahead of time, unless your one of the county storm spotters or something.

It costs too much to mobilize anytime there is a chance for tornado's, especially in illinois down to oklahoma or anywhere else in tornado valley. That's why us volunteers jump in because were free and realize the importance of being prepared. So unless your ems allows you to show up to work for free just-in-case and it doesn't violate union laws or anything else, as I said before nothing is likely to change until something happens, and 95% of the time you will be doing the same thing you do now.

Last edited by a moderator:

94H

Forum Lieutenant
After "Hurricane" Irene my service provided personnel to help staff shelters for those who did not have power. We also set up a warming station at our HQ where we allowed people to come in and warm up, we also gave out snacks and hot drinks.

Dont forget you may also be called upon to evacuate Nursing Homes in your area, my service paged out as these needs came to realization and put extra trucks on

OP
OP
A

AShaddeau

Forum Probie
I'm actually working on an out-line for a disaster aid course i'm currently taking.But since i have no experience as an EMT/Fire, I have no clue as to where to start.I've got 4 weeks left of EMT-B left, then i take the state exam.This disaster aid course is just an extra class i chose to take.Thanks for all the help and replies.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
As someone who is extremely experienced in natural disasters my observation is thus: all plans go out the window, no one is "in charge", and you have to think outside the box and do what's best for your patient.

As someone who is experienced in natural disasters, my response to this would be:
  • Plans do not go out the window
  • If a plan cannot be followed exactly, it should be used as a platform for the response
  • There is most definitely someone in charge
  • There is someone usually in charge of different aspects of the response, and you should find out who you should report to

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
As someone who is experienced in natural disasters, my response to this would be:
  • Plans do not go out the window
  • If a plan cannot be followed exactly, it should be used as a platform for the response
  • There is most definitely someone in charge
  • There is someone usually in charge of different aspects of the response, and you should find out who you should report to

We will have to agree to disagree. I spent 3 months in immediate-post Katrina Gulf Coast. There was no plan and no one was in charge. Heck...FEMA didn't show up until 6 weeks after we got there. Want to see the news articles saying so?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
We will have to agree to disagree. I spent 3 months in immediate-post Katrina Gulf Coast. There was no plan and no one was in charge. Heck...FEMA didn't show up until 6 weeks after we got there. Want to see the news articles saying so?

And as stated before, and hoping this doesn't bring the whole conversation up again, you can't base Katrina, the #1 natural disaster this country has ever faced, as an example for all natural disaster response.

And I'm almost 100% certain that in the event of a Katrina type event again, things would happen much differently.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
And as stated before, and hoping this doesn't bring the whole conversation up again, you can't base Katrina, the #1 natural disaster this country has ever faced, as an example for all natural disaster response.

And I'm almost 100% certain that in the event of a Katrina type event again, things would happen much differently.

I am certain that it would happen the same exact way as before. The "lessons learned" were that you have to think way outside of the box.