Dilemma - Nursing School or Medic?

Marinelayer

Forum Probie
Is there anyone here who wanted to be a nurse and then found themselves more interested in becoming a medic? For me, that's my current dilemma, and would certainly benefit from the advice of others who have had to make similar decisions.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Is there anyone here who wanted to be a nurse and then found themselves more interested in becoming a medic? For me, that's my current dilemma, and would certainly benefit from the advice of others who have had to make similar decisions.

Revisit this dilemma after you finish nursing school.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I did 2.5 years of nursing before switching to Medic.I did well but I much prefer the Medic side of things. That being said up here in canada, wages for medics are in the mid 20s to early 30s starting out.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
With me I am a failed student nurse and way back then failed student nurses went on the bumbulance...lol

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I know a few people who are both. All of them prefer being paramedics. I know one works full time as an RN because of the wage difference, and another works full time in a NICU. She hopes to become a flight nurse on the pediatric team, and that is the best way.

JCyrus

Forum Crew Member
My brother was a paramedic student who decided he'd rather go into nursing. He's been working in ER primarily ever since, and is now clinical head rn of the ER at a Level 1 trauma center. Last year though, he took a class to become licensed as a Pre-Hospital Registered Nurse (PHRN) which is an EMS certification in PA allowing nurses to give pre-hospital care at a level slightly above paramedic, and now he picks up shifts on a volunteer service periodically. So, in all reality, he's literally come full circle.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
I have two friends, one my former partner, that now work as nurses and have regretted leaving full-time as medic ever since. My partner is pushing 6 months an an er nurse, my other friend is about a year as an er nurse.

terrible one

Always wandering
If you plan to stay in SoCal I'd go the RN route. Very limited career medics in SoCal unless you're a firefighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some nursing but the paramedic Job is much more desirable to me. I like not having to get a note before i do something, and the general freedom ems gives you. However Nursing has more room for movement and just works better for some people.

Missedcue

Forum Crew Member
I've been thinking about the same situation. I've been talking to a lot of nurses and medics and in general the medics seem happier and like their jobs more. In Seattle being a paramedic does put you into the golden handcuffs, it's a great job but there's not much room for advancement. My biggest concern is that I don't want to be stuck inside for 12 hours a day. I've come to the conclusion that I'm in love with field work.

If you can, take a volunteer job in a hospital or become a part-timt MA and really see if you'd like hospital work. Take a ride-along with a medic, and above all, ask questions of everyone around you.

Good luck with the choice.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
All depends on your primary goals and purposes. Some people love nursing some people hate it. It has lots of room for advancement( $ wise & professionally)

Medic- wonderful job also. Some love it some hate it.

Don't base your life decision on what u want to do with urself on others personal feelings ya know?