Dilema

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
Here's the deal. I had planned on starting EMS courses this fall here in Paris, Tx.

I got a job offer as a scribe in Fort Worth (2 hours away). While I can do EMS there, moving is going to be a financial stretch.

However, I am thinking about pursuing med school. The experience and connections would be great for that.

While I can make the move theoretically, I don't know if it'd be worth it at this point. At the same time, I know the potential for finding a job similar around here is pretty much nil. And as far as my timeframe for getting back into school goes, it'd work perfectly. I just dunno about taking the EMS courses there, since it'd be cutting close to the deadline.

Maybe I'm just thinking out loud.

Thoughts?

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Two:
First, what kind of job does a scribe do? (The picture of a 15th century monk with a candle, quill pen and ink well comes to mind.)

Second, if you want to go to medical school, don't waste your time with EMS. I hear people who say they want to to be a medic because it will help with medical school entrance, but how many people who go to medical school get in without anything other than a BS and a good MCAT (sorry if I misspell that) score.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Second, if you want to go to medical school, don't waste your time with EMS. I hear people who say they want to to be a medic because it will help with medical school entrance, but how many people who go to medical school get in without anything other than a BS and a good MCAT (sorry if I misspell that) score.

This is probably true. I would bet that a fair majority of physicians probably have no idea of the distinction between a paramedic and an EMT-B, and very few have ever directly interacted with one.

OP
OP
Vetitas86

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
Scribes do chart prep and minor office work.

I'm not planning on getting into EMS for med school. Quite the opposite. I want to be able to work through undergrad doing something I love. Pharm didn't do it for me. There wasn't enough patient interaction. Yeah, yeah EMS isn't perfect. But it'd be better (at least to me) than shuffling pills all day

MS Medic

Forum Captain
Here's my free advice to you. I wouldn't worry about EMS. Focus your time/energy/money on medical school and things that will directly affect your efforts in that endeavor.

So what if you have a job you don't like in the meantime. I worked in manufacturing before I lost my job and "fell" into EMS. The year in between those two, I worked a Wal-Mart stocking shelves overnight while I went through basic school and supported a wife and children. I didn't enjoy it but it paid the bills.

From my understanding of medical school, you will be required to quit work at some point to focus strictly on school anyway so just gut it out and worry only about your end goal.

OP
OP
Vetitas86

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
I think really, what I'm going to have to do is take a long, hard look at where I'm headed.

I should focus solely on getting to med school. I can do EMS later. It's still interesting as hell to me, but I think it'd be in my better interest to explore my options and focus on getting through undergrad first.

Who knows, I may get back in "real school" and hate it.

But thanks for the advice, guys and girls. I'm gonna look further into it and see what's going to be best.