difficult partners

dcolbert3

Forum Crew Member
Let me hear yalls thoughts and experiences with dealing with them!

Tommerag

What day is it?
The biggest thing is to remember; even if they are difficult to work with and you don't like them, be professional with them.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
The biggest thing is to remember; even if they are difficult to work with and you don't like them, be professional with them.

This! Easier said than done. I've also found that communication is key to stuff like this. Some people are just plain difficult, but often times, because of many different reasons, many people just don't realize they're doing it.

Provided it's just not a fluke bad day, I've found that approaching people with, "hey so- and-so, is everything okay because you're stressing me out. Be prepared to elaborate on specifics so it doesn't appear that you're just whining. This usually works well. Some people are just miserable and toxic. I've had people I've refused to work with. When that happens I tell the supervisors why I won't work the said person. It's a way to let supervision know without a formal complain process being started, at least in my neck of the woods.

As a medic you have a little more power to refuse partners, but I consider it bad form.

Tommerag

What day is it?
This! Easier said than done. I've also found that communication is key to stuff like this. Some people are just plain difficult, but often times, because of many different reasons, many people just don't realize they're doing it.

Provided it's just not a fluke bad day, I've found that approaching people with, "hey so- and-so, is everything okay because you're stressing me out. Be prepared to elaborate on specifics so it doesn't appear that you're just whining. This usually works well. Some people are just miserable and toxic. I've had people I've refused to work with. When that happens I tell the supervisors why I won't work the said person. It's a way to let supervision know without a formal complain process being started, at least in my neck of the woods.

As a medic you have a little more power to refuse partners, but I consider it bad form.

I understand that, but I found that it helps. Keeps your partners from make you seem like the problem. Just have to bite your tongue as hard as that maybe.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I understand that, but I found that it helps. Keeps your partners from make you seem like the problem. Just have to bite your tongue as hard as that maybe.

Yeah I find myself having to bite my tongue too. I figure that sometimes it may just be me and some bias that I have,so I tend to be far more patient and forgiving than others just to make sure it's not me that's imagining the problem or making it bigger than it really is.

Forgot to add that I echo your sentiment that professionalism trumps all else. For me it allows time to "cool down" and make better judgements in relation to me course of action and my objectivity. I also allows me to keep such conflict away from patient care. As I said, I'm a fairly laid back person so long as safety and good patient care is being maintained.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tommerag

What day is it?
Yeah I find myself having to bite my tongue too. I figure that sometimes it may just be me and some bias that I have,so I tend to be far more patient and forgiving than others just to make sure it's not me that's imagining the problem or making it bigger than it really is.

Being patient and forgiving will get you much farther then most people realize.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I just remind myself of one thing, I am here to work a job not socialize. I honestly do not care if someone likes me or not, just do your job. As long as you do your job, I will bite my tongue on everything else and put up with you.

thebestever

Forum Ride Along
A difficult partner makes for a loooong shift. I put in my ear phones and listen to music inbetween calls. If I get assigned to that partner I tell my supervisor and she will switch us out. She totally understands that we all can't get along. And happy partners work more efficiently.

brian328

Forum Crew Member
i had a partner for a little bit that was incredibly difficult to work with. i tried talking to him about it with no success. working with him made the 48hr shift soooo much longer and it didn't help that we worked at the busiest station in our system. luckily, a shift opened up somewhere and i jumped on it as soon as possible. i have heard from almost everybody else at the company that this person was incredibly difficult to work with and he was later released for some other issues.

BUT.. there are always people you won't get along with that is just the way the world works. usually when you have a difficult partner, it is best to try and talk about it. if that doesn't work you can A) wait it out B) let your supervisor know you have conflicting personalities and hopefully your supervisor will find another partner for you

Last edited by a moderator:

xrsm002

Forum Captain
Yup we have a few people that aren't pleasant to work with. One person all they want to ever do is just drive. That seems to be all they are interested in. The others clinical skills aren't great. I've been trying to help this person with skills but they have a problem with listening skills also, in one ear out the other. Makes me wonder if it's worth it, because when I was 18 I used to be like that with my parents.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
As a bit of an aside, it may be useful for the discussion to categorize difficult partners into one of two categories. First is the simple personality conflict and incompatibility. Here a dedication to professionalism on at least one partner's side should provide an environment where the work gets done and patient care doesn't suffer. The second is where the partner is just a plain crappy provider. Be it beside manner, or ability, either can make for a horrible day and experience for patients. I can tolerate the former, but I cannot tolerate the latter, and I take steps to fix the problem if it's within the realm of possibility. I've often found myself apologizing for my partner's crummy attitude to smooth things over with patients, family, and others. Now undesirables from other agencies I have no control over, but I have a knack for smoothing ruffled feathers.

I ran a call on a chest pain patient that ended up being a STEMI. While on scene a man approached and asked if he could be of any assistance. Before the man could complete himself the fire captain cut him off and dismissed him in one of the most outlandishly rude displays I've ever been witness too. I felt so bad that, and because there were plenty of providers on scene, I walked over to the man and apologized to for him. I told him that I was not with that agency, nor did I have authority to address the issue, but I wanted to extend a little respect to him and thank him for his concern and offer of assistance. He thanks me for my, "being human," and we chatted for a few minutes. Turns out the guy was the director of the Emergency Physician group at one of our larger local hospitals.

anyways, I just felt compelled to share.