Diabetes...slowing me down.

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
Isn't it nice showing up on scene for an emergency then a few minutes later you have an emergency? I have hypoglycemia and everytime I get a lil adrenaline rush...a few minutes later my blood sugar drops. Anybody else having this issue?

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
I am lucky enough to not have DM but I am curious as I thought that sympathetic stimulation with associated Epi/Norepi release actually raised the blood sugar?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
With a parasympathetic response I believe your body would release glycogen so your body have the energy on hand to deal with the fight or flight response.

Sympathetic is your rest and digest mode. So no major adrenal activity, thus no sudden spike in sugar.

That's my guess.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
With a parasympathetic response I believe your body would release glycogen so your body have the energy on hand to deal with the fight or flight response.

Sympathetic is your rest and digest mode. So no major adrenal activity, thus no sudden spike in sugar.

That's my guess.

Sorry I think you have those mixed up though:

Sympathetic = fight or flight, catecholamine release, stress response, increased gluconeogenesis/glycogenolysis
Parasympathetic=resting, vagal response, decreased glucose production

ertech

Forum Probie
That's weird,I have type 1 DM as well.I have never experienced this.all I can recommend is make sure you are eating enough and make sure you carry glucose tablets.you probably already know that.do you take insulin?maybe bring this up with your doctor.my motto is "don't become a patient"

OP
OP
KCS911

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
Sympathetic realeases just glucose...no proteins to keep the blood sugar up.Its like eating a whole bunch of candy then waiting awhile and then the BS will drop low again. With an adrenaline rush I'm actually using up that glucose when i'm doing the work so it drops fast. Those who have diabetes have most likely had these at least once on scene.
I have hypoglycemia where my BS only goes low.I basically over metabolize. My lil sister has diabetes too but she has the insulin pump and what not.

Last edited by a moderator:

ertech

Forum Probie
I too am on an insulin pump.I have never got low under the circumstances you mention of.I am really on top of my diabetes.I check my bg 8-12 Times a day and usually eat every 3-4 hours.it would be good to know what your bg is when you are dispatched and then once you get low,just to see how big of a swing it made.you might could just eat a glucose tablet or two once you see it's gonna be An action packed call.keep us posted

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Sympathetic realeases just glucose...no proteins to keep the blood sugar up.Its like eating a whole bunch of candy then waiting awhile and then the BS will drop low again. With an adrenaline rush I'm actually using up that glucose when i'm doing the work so it drops fast. Those who have diabetes have most likely had these at least once on scene.
I have hypoglycemia where my BS only goes low.I basically over metabolize. My lil sister has diabetes too but she has the insulin pump and what not.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Do you have diabetes or do you have hypoglycemia?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I have type 2 diabetes and that hasn't happened to me yet. I do carry glucose tablets in case it ever does.

OP
OP
KCS911

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
Hmm I'll try that sometime. I have hypoglycemia. Its similiar to diabetes. I was just curious if anybody that has diabetes or hypoglycemia has this issue too and what they do to try to fix it.I was on a call this morning and I didn't have any issues with my Bg but then again it wasn't that big of an adrenaline rush. Could the way my Bg reacts to adrenaline rushes be possibly caused by my hypoglycemia and my young age?