Denver's Health Medic's Hitting "Bottom"

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
DENVER POST

Denver Health's Paramedic Division, once heralded as the nation's finest, has fallen behind its peers in other cities in recent years, becoming increasingly sluggish and inefficient, say prominent emergency consultants and medical professionals with experience at the division.

Moreover, paramedics and nurses say, medicine practiced by some Denver Health medics has become too aggressive, sometimes crossing the line into patient abuse.

And the Denver Health division, they assert, lacks oversight that might have prevented the behavior that led a former paramedic to level allegations last month of bullying, harassment and unsafe patient care.

Last month, five paramedics were fired after a hospital investigation of patient abuse. The chief paramedic was placed on leave, pending civil service review. More than a dozen patients have come forward complaining of poor treatment, and state health officials continue to call for legislative action to better regulate the professionals who practice high-stress, life-saving medicine on the streets.

[ READ MORE ]

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by MariaCatEMT@Jul 29 2004, 09:26 AM
Guys.....my typing sucks!

Dever = DENVER

Bottem = BOTTOM

Sorry!
It happens to the best of us :)

I read this story, and was a bit shocked. I think as an EMT or Paramedic one needs to be aggressive and care for the patient, but at the same time be humble.

Being a confident medic is great, a paragod is going a bit too far.