Degree, Medic

SuaveTheMedic

Forum Ride Along
I'm currently finishing up my medic course, I also wanted to finish getting a BS degree in 1-2 years. Any way that can be possible, how does one go about doing that?

MrJones

Iconoclast
I'm currently finishing up my medic course, I also wanted to finish getting a BS degree in 1-2 years. Any way that can be possible, how does one go about doing that?

Yes it is possible. One goes about doing it by using one's favorite search engine to find and select an accredited college offering a paramedic certificate to degree bridge program. Apply. Get accepted. Pay the fees. Do the work. Graduate.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
check the links in my signature. I would highly recommend you get your AAS before hand if your applying to any of the programs with an AAS EMS - BS EMS, it will save you money and time at many programs. If money and time are not an issue ( say you get VA benefits, or something) then do whatever you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

SuaveTheMedic

Forum Ride Along
So, I've tried to locate a few accredited Paramedic to Associates Applied Health Science Degrees, I live downstate NY and I'm looking to start an online school any suggestions of good ones?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Check Eastern NM University. They offer an all online, or mostly online (can't remember) for certificate to AAS

OP
OP
S

SuaveTheMedic

Forum Ride Along
Have you guys heard of Camden County?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
If you have an associates and your medic central washington has an online bs degree.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief

Definitely not in 1 year. More like 2-3. I'm not sure getting an AAS first is necessary, but it may be cheaper to do that and then transfer credit to a 4-year school vs. doing all the course-work at a 4 year.

Also, I am a little familiar with Camden County College's paramedic program, but you're not going for training, just the AAS, right? I've known a few people that were able to complete the degree while working fulltime. It's a community college, so as an out-of-state student, you'll likely have to pay more per credit.

OP
OP
S

SuaveTheMedic

Forum Ride Along
Definitely not in 1 year. More like 2-3. I'm not sure getting an AAS first is necessary, but it may be cheaper to do that and then transfer credit to a 4-year school vs. doing all the course-work at a 4 year.

Also, I am a little familiar with Camden County College's paramedic program, but you're not going for training, just the AAS, right? I've known a few people that were able to complete the degree while working fulltime. It's a community college, so as an out-of-state student, you'll likely have to pay more per credit.

Yeah, I'm looking to get my associates first then finishing up the studies with a bachelors but doing this online.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
BS in Health Sciences: Paramedic Care

Northern Arizona University has an online Paramedic BS program. For whatever reason, I never see it listed on NAEMT site or in any of the other higher education directories. I do not know anyone who has done this specific program, but I am familiar with NAU. Generally speaking it is a descent school for health sciences, and the courses are not particularly difficult. I'd be interested to hear from someone who completes this program.

Here is the link to the webpage: BS in Health Sciences: Paramedic Care

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
OP
OP
S

SuaveTheMedic

Forum Ride Along
Thanks guys for your help, any other schools that have the year long online AAS program that I can start now instead of waiting to become a medic then doing it? I'm already enrolled in a non degree medic program.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Thanks guys for your help, any other schools that have the year long online AAS program that I can start now instead of waiting to become a medic then doing it? I'm already enrolled in a non degree medic program.
CNM (for example) lets you submit a copy of your paramedic cert and they give you credits equivalent to their paramedic program. Then yoy need 12 hours or so in math, english, psych, amd a computer class to get your degree. You could always take the core classes you'd need to get ahead on it

BoonDoc

Forum Crew Member
Here in the EU, Middlesex University offers the Masters in Science that can be taken by anyone with at least five years experience at the paramedic level.

No prior degree or university experience required.

It is a work based learning option that uses your experience on the road as prerequisite for the masters degree.

It is all online and costs £6110 ($10k).

Middlesex is FAFSA approved so you can use your US student loans if needed.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP

While enrolled in your non degree medic program, almost any of the U.S. degree programs will allow you to start taking the general education requirements online for the degree. For most AAS programs its only a few classes, normally English comp 1 and 2, a math class, and a few other things. For a BS, the breadth requirements are a bit more and you'll find yourself taking additional course work to fulfill the basic requirements. Regardless, all degree seekers are required to take these no matter what your major is, so you should be safe to start that now.
However, each college and EMS major program has its own policy. Some may require you to wait to take the EMS specific major courses until your a paramedic and or general education requirements are completed. The links in my signature are for undergraduate degree's not sure on AAS, but I hear Camden County College (among many others) may offer what your looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
CNM (for example) lets you submit a copy of your paramedic cert and they give you credits equivalent to their paramedic program. Then yoy need 12 hours or so in math, english, psych, amd a computer class to get your degree. You could always take the core classes you'd need to get ahead on it

Awesome.

I registered and signed up for this a couple of days ago. Great advice.

All online distance learning. Nice!

It's $260 per credit hour and it requires 12. ENG, Math, Intro computers, BIO, & Psych.

A little over $3000 for a degree with our of state tuition.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Awesome.

I registered and signed up for this a couple of days ago. Great advice.

All online distance learning. Nice!

It's $260 per credit hour and it requires 12. ENG, Math, Intro computers, BIO, & Psych.

A little over $3000 for a degree with our of state tuition.
Glad I could help :) I'm doing that and my community Paramedic program concurrently, so come May, I should be getting my AAS and community Paramedic certificate of completion too

OP
OP
S

SuaveTheMedic

Forum Ride Along
That's amazing.

I plan to register with one of these schools soon, the medic program I am in starts In a month or so, imma get going with the core classes @CNM.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but University of Nebraska- Creighton, offers a paramedic program that gives an AS degree. They also have a BS in EMS that contains the full NREMT-P course and contains the prereqs for their PA program and their med school. ( roughly a paramedic version of their BSN program)
And finally they have an MS in EMS service administration. All in-house though, not online.