Decision to study further and some advice

Tunamate

Forum Crew Member
I'm looking for some advice from the academic faculty of pre hospital personnel.

I have a bachelor degree in emergency medical care and rescue. Translates to advanced paramedic (I think if lookIng at USA, UK, Aus protocols) I have been accepted to do a Masters and possibly further it onto a PhD. This would be a research masters and adds no value to the actual job as a paramedic. It's purely academic.

So, I'm looking for some advice from the folks out there.
Pros obvious being able able to climb the academy ladder, vs, time away from family etc due to studies while working full time.

Please feel free to comment / add personal experience input

OP
OP
T

Tunamate

Forum Crew Member
Long term..... Have as much fun as I can! I. Saying that, I am very ambitious and I do enjoy the challenge of academics and reaearch

MedicRx

Forum Probie
Coming from someone who has been there and done that, you're correct. The graduate degrees will get you nowhere in EMS. Though a graduate degree will allow you to run EMS educational programs, whereas an AAS or BS/BA will not, at least where I live. I've spent my career trying to combine my two paths, which are often at odds with one another. EMS is, unfortunately, still a vocation, and there is no respect for a graduate education. However, the field is in dire need of people who are educated and able to advance the profession over the long term. This includes establishing EMS-conducted research, and higher educational standards. Those with graduate degrees are in a much better place to accomplish this. I say go for it, but I'm a little biased.

OP
OP
T

Tunamate

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the input man. Im looking at the medical legal and ethics options as I really enjoy controversial issues and would like to set myself up to deal with ethical legal and malpractice issues. So, long road ahead of me and I don't want to lose sight of actually being a paramedic! I love my job and I am good at it.
Thanks again for advice

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
PhD will allow you to help people in the big picture by advancing policies and procedures by conducting research and teaching the next generation.

The trade-off will be limited opportunities to help individual people. You won't be able to pay back those loans by working the streets.