Cutting Clothes

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
If I cut your clothes off, rest assured they needed to come off. It probably wont be along the seams either for that I apologise, but im sure you can understand my haste in accessing your possibly life-threatning injury.

Having a multi-system trauma pt disrobe is probably not a good idea, it will usually compromise the integrity of your immobilization.

If a pt can physically disrobe themselves then their injury is usually not signifigant enough to warrent it.

I have never once cut along the seams. The material is typically harder to cut there, and I'm out to fix you, not your clothes.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That is about the only time I try to save something is when cutting a rider's leathers. Go for the seams, or right next to it so they can be repaired, or if there are laces (like up the sides of pants/chaps) go for those as new lacing is easy to obtain

And if youre cutting a jacket, make sure it's not a down filled one, they make a mess, unless you want to look like you've been tarred and feathered.

I thank you on that one. As someone who has had his leathers cut off when there was no major injury, I always try to make cuts on those as neat and easy to repair as possible. Especially since my race set cost me over $800...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I have never once cut along the seams. The material is typically harder to cut there, and I'm out to fix you, not your clothes.

Cutting right next to a seam is generally easier, the fabric is more stable from the seam and you can cut the single layer side of the seam. Also, what holds a garment together also is where it best comes apart.